Did anyone else agonize over a brewery name?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
My god, this is killing me. I've changed it 20 times already. I just can't come up with anything that I really like. I've gone from a golf inspired name to a Phish inspired name to about 10 other things.

I've had all of these:

Albatross Brewing Co.
Divided Sky Brewing Co.
Lumpy Head Brewing Co.
Man Cave Brewing Co. ( Way before the show came out!)
Cavern Brewing Co.

Did anyone else go through this problem? Now I'm thinking about naming it after my two sons. Their names are Michael and Angelo, so it would be Michaelangelo Brewing Co..

What do you guys think of that? Be honest please. I just have no idea what I would use as a logo. I don't think I'm down with David's naked ass on my beer label:D

yeah, i haven't come up with anything really striking yet either. i like the idea of michaelangelo. being honest though, i think it would sound better backwards: Brewery Michaelangelo. or in traditional Belgian style: Brouwerij MichaelAngelo.

yeah, i haven't come up with anything really striking yet either. i like the idea of michaelangelo. being honest though, i think it would sound better backwards: Brewery Michaelangelo. or in traditional Belgian style: Brouwerij MichaelAngelo.

Interesting Suggestion. I kind of like that idea. Thanks!

Michaelangelo's father's name (you) was Lodovico. It's a little more subtle, but still has the reference, if you don't mind explaining it.

Or mavybe a slichtly masculine twist on his name and reference to the "crazy life (vida loca)" for all you Ricky Martin fans. Loco Vida maybe rather tahn Lodovico.

Lodovico Brewing Company. Kind of cool sounding. But again, Logo thoughts??

I didn't really try to THINK of one. it just came one day. I started storing all my equipment and fermenting in my Furnace Room in the basement. I've since taken over the garage, basement and upstairs with a brewing "presence" :)D), but that's where I started no matter how far I go with this hobby. I like it in the sense that it will always remind me how I started.

I didn't really try to THINK of one. it just came one day. I started storing all my equipment and fermenting in my Furnace Room in the basement. I've since taken over the garage, basement and upstairs with a brewing "presence" :)D), but that's where I started no matter how far I go with this hobby. I like it in the sense that it will always remind me how I started.

I think it's a really cool name by the way. Do you have a logo?

I didn't see your logo there a second ago when I looked. Very cool.

The more I'm thinking about it, I'm really starting to dig Lodovico Brewing Co..

I just have no idea where to go for a logo idea on that one. Any ideas??

Mine came to me pretty easily. I have two passions, flying and homebrew. I have flown over 1600 hours in the CH-46E (nicknamed Battle Phrog), hence the name. If you have some other interest that you're passionate about, it might be a good place to start.

Lodovico means "famous warrior". I'm sure I could work with that for a logo, huh?

I have had a bunch of brewery names. First was Jester's Brewery, which I am growing away from. Now I am using Middle of Nowhere, because I live in the middle of nowhere. But it is long and hard to come up with a recognizable logo with that many words.

I am thinking of just switching to use my last name. 4Letter, one syllable.

Man I worry about this a lot for it being really an imaginary brewery....lol

I have had a bunch of brewery names. First was Jester's Brewery, which I am growing away from. Now I am using Middle of Nowhere, because I live in the middle of nowhere. But it is long and hard to come up with a recognizable logo with that many words.

I am thinking of just switching to use my last name. 4Letter, one syllable.

Man I worry about this a lot for it being really an imaginary brewery....lol

Well at least I'm not the only one that worries about something that doesn't really matter. But maybe this will become more than a hobby someday.:cross:

Nope, my former brewing buddy came up with the name and I retain it in his memory. If he hadn't, I probably wouldn't have a name. Most of the home brewers I know don't bother.

I like "LodoVico" with a warrior motif. Maybe start with a silhouette of a Comanche warrior on horseback at sunset.

There was someone else on here who recently did a similar western sunset motif. I thought it looked nice.

I"m picturing a Warrior with a sword in one hand and a mash paddle in the other. And then some really cool background that could be changed based on the beer style.

It took me over a year to figure it out.

I finally came up with Multum in Parvo, meaning a lot in a little space/container. It works well because I am currently in a 300 sq. foot apartment, my dog is a pug, and my girlfriend weights 100 pounds or so. Plus, latin is kind of cool sounding.

I'm in the same boat right now. I've been using "Elevation 21.93" which is a survey benchmark in my backyard, and I'm a civil engineer, so it ties in, but I'm just not sold on it. Been thinking of changing to a Grateful Dead reference.

OP, I have to say, I'm a fan of Divided Sky Brewing, but also like the discussions that have come into the LodoVico

I'm in the same boat right now. I've been using "Elevation 21.93" which is a survey benchmark in my backyard, and I'm a civil engineer, so it ties in, but I'm just not sold on it. Been thinking of changing to a Grateful Dead reference.

OP, I have to say, I'm a fan of Divided Sky Brewing, but also like the discussions that have come into the LodoVico

Yeah there are some cool GD reference names.

Wharf Rat Brewing Co.
Jack Straw Brewing Co.
Dark Star Brewing Co.
Loose Lucy Brewing Co.

I really like the Michaelangelo Brewery name, or even something less direct like Renaissance Brewing.

As for a logo, we are all accustomed with this Michelangelo work:

God2-Sistine_Chapel.png

You could do a take on that with similar (albeit fully clothed) characters, but in their oustretched hands could be two pints of beer on the verge of being toasted.

Latest posts

Back