Can my IPA be ready in 14 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blabass

Reaction score
The final gravity (1.011) was reached after day 12. The wart is quiet. I want to cold crash the beer in the carboy for a few days then keg it? Is this to impatient?
Cheer

It'll taste "young", but it's doable.

Of course, with IPA's, you want to drink them fresh - however they could use another week or two. The taste will smooth out over the next couple weeks, and still be fresh - and will ultimately taste better. No harm in drinking it this soon though - it will be a good experiment for you.

I would recommend not drinking it all though - leave some in the keg and sample it over the next couple weeks, and you'll see how the taste changes. There's a perfect number of days to age every beer, based on OG, grains used, hops used (and amounts), etc. 2 weeks is too early, even for an IPA - but do what you must. :)

I would recommend not drinking it all though - leave some in the keg and sample it over the next couple weeks, and you'll see how the taste changes.
If the change is anything other than less hop flavor and aroma there are flaws in your process that you need to work on. Carb it up and drink! Impatient? Could be, but also smart.

I'm normally drinking my IPAs (always dryhopped) by about day 15-20.

A well made beer doesn't need time to age out off flavors, and you don't create off-flavors in the first place.

Pitch the proper amount of yeast at the proper temperature and ferment at the proper temperature, and the beer is done fermenting in 3-5 days. Allow 3 days or so for the yeast to finish cleaning up any diacetyl, and the beer to start to clear, and then dryhop for 5 days and then keg and drink.

Once many ales are finished, and clear, there isn't any advantage to making it older unless there are flaws in it. Some ales do take a bit longer to meld together- notably my oatmeal stout takes a couple of weeks longer, and my Belgian tripel is best after a couple of months (or more). But a simple IPA or APA is usually ready sooner than many think.

I made a citra Amarillo wheat IPA and served in six days for a beer event. It was extremely popular and people did not believe the timeline. Hit FG and you're good to go for some beers. The pros do it.

I just brought kegs of a Bitter, English IPA, and DIPA to a beer event and the EIPA went first. It was 12 days old. As Yooper says, ferment good beer and there's no need let it age.

Back