Yeast starter wort storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBam

Reaction score
quick question...when you pressure cook starter wort in the canning jars:

1. do you store that in the fridge or is it ok on the shelf at room temperature?

2. what is the shelf life?

i have no experience with canning, so i am not quite sure about that.

thanks guys!

BAM

Properly canned (sterilized), there should be no need to refrigerate. I made up 6 gallons (24 quarts), but brewing twice per month and using 2 quarts per starter, I've used it all up in 6 months. The ROT for fruit and veggies is 1 year for retaining taste.

Hint: Before you use the pressure cooker, read the directions!

I had some I forgot about in the basement.

I dumped it, but it was 10 years old and still smelled fine.

Once you pressure cook PROPERLY its VERY stable

Room temp, as the others note. Pressure canning is a super way to prep starter ahead of time, and also makes it easy to sterilize gear for yeast ranching, etc. I love my canner.

Why not just boil some DME when you're making a starter? Seems like a waste of time, space, and energy to can wort.

* It is time-efficient to do a huge batch of starter at once. Do it once and Measure once and have many pints/quarts of starter ready at a moment's notice.

* no boilovers

* canned starter is *sterile* not sanitized

* canned starter is at pitchable room temp

Just canned up 8000mls of wort. I can not tell you how nice it is to have all this done at once. Super easy to, weigh the dme in the jar, add water, cap and cook.

Back