Liquid vs dry extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigrigney

Reaction score
I just ran into a small problem. I purchased 3 recipes from AHB with liquid extract. I finally got around to making my final recipe, and when I opened the liquid extract, I saw some mold on top. Talk about a bummer. I was thinking about purchasing dry extract next time so this doesn't happen, but I really do not know the pro's and con's, and what is ultimately better.

This was the first time this has ever happend to me in over a year, but I hate waisting money and supplies. Thoughts?

I went to dry after my first few batches. Although I think its a bit more of a pain then the liquid I like the result much better. I can store it longer as well and dont have to worry about dropping and denting and such

With dry extract u use 25% less than you would liquid. I honestly don't know the pros and cons of using either one...i guess its just preference. But I believe the liquid retains more fermentable sugars than the dry (i forgot where i herd that...don't know if it is entirely true) Also, i think mark emily (the guy from expert village) and jamil use liquid all the time. So there must be a reason to that.

DME has the water removed, thus giving you more fermentables than LME pound for pound, so you can use less. I'm not sure of the exact calculation, but if you have a recipe that calls for 6 lbs. of LME, you can substitute with about 5 lbs. of DME. Plus, canned LME can sometimes impart an off flavor described as a "twang".

DME has the water removed, thus giving you more fermentables than LME pound for pound, so you can use less. I'm not sure of the exact calculation, but if you have a recipe that calls for 6 lbs. of LME, you can substitute with about 5 lbs. of DME. Plus, canned LME can sometimes impart an off flavor described as a "twang".

5 lbs LME = 4 lbs DME according to John Palmer (from beer geek god to your ears)

I like DME except when I drop the bag on my bare foot and it turns to glue from the moisture:drunk:

DME can help you produce a lighter colored beer in some instances, but really, IF ITS FRESH, there is minimal difference between the two.

If you scrape the mold off the top of your LME you can still use it if I recall correctly. Do a quick search for mold LME or call Forrest and ask.

I don't think I'd use any ingredient that had mould on it.

Return it for a refund and always use fresh ingredients to brew with if possible.

I think you missed the part where the extract was fresh when he recieved it. He just got around to using it.

We ship 136,500 pounds of liquid malt extract a year. So, the extract is the freshest it can be when it leaves the store.

I recommend using liquid malt extract within a month of receiving it. If you are not going to use the extract for awhile you can put a dab of vodka on top to keep the mold away.

Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply

Why on God's green earth would anyone think that they could buy ANY fresh foodstuff that didn't have preservatives in it, leave it out at room temperature for weeks and not find mold on it?

Would you buy milk and leave it out on the counter for several days? Think about it. People post of this forum all the time about being paranoid about their wort being infected because of poor sanitation or exposure to bacteria in the air, etc. Were talking about exposures that last only a few seconds. But yet they sound surprised to find mold on top of their sugary LME that has been left at room temperature for weeks or months!

I have used both LME and DME with success. The DME was difficult to dissolve in hot water but i recently read in Palmer's book that DME dissolves better in cold water. LME is definitely better for late addition extract because it dissolves easier in hot water.

I plan to try a recipe that uses part DME (dissolved in cold water and brought to boil) and then LME for late addition. Palmer's recipe is 2.5 lbs DME and then 3.3 lbs LME (I assume that these are roughly equal).

I have used both LME and DME with success. The DME was difficult to dissolve in hot water but i recently read in Palmer's book that DME dissolves better in cold water. LME is definitely better for late addition extract because it dissolves easier in hot water.

I plan to try a recipe that uses part DME (dissolved in cold water and brought to boil) and then LME for late addition. Palmer's recipe is 2.5 lbs DME and then 3.3 lbs LME (I assume that these are roughly equal).

The other advantage you will have that way is that using DME for your first addition keeps the color down. Since LME already starts darker, it is VERY difficult to do light beers unless you late add it.

I do "big" partial mashes and use the base grains in my PM to get the hops utilized and then add my LME at the end.

When I had access to a LHBS that did a good volume of LME sales I bought their own bulk product and used it to great success. Now my LHBS mainly carries DME, and I have to say it works very well. I can't really tell the difference in the end from using either. People have reported a "twang" with LME but I think that may be from either the canned stuff or product that may have been old. But fresh LME works as well for me as DME does.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I will probably end up doing a conbination of both LME and DME, and it is great to hear others using it successfully. Thanks again for the good input.

I refrigerate any of the LME I have and if in plastic I put CO2 on top of it with the lid sealed. I have never had any mold when refrigerated.

I deal pretty strictly with DME. I find it easier to maintain consistency with DME. LME is just fine, but I like to be able to stuff the extra away after I'm done without serious concern about spoiling or just "going bad."

Back