Temp Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dataz722

Reaction score
I all of a sudden have an immediate need for a temperature controller. I need to get it ASAP. I am thinking about getting this http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1RC41 and getting a thermocoupler for it to put in the fridge as a probe but im not sure how well that will work for what I need. Any suggestions on this? Will it work? And other ideas that will be relatively cheap? Thanks.

Depends, that one works for 100*F to 240*F. Also it is supplied by 24 volt. I would do a search on this site for temperature controls and read the numerous threads to make up your mind, but I use a Love control and also have Ranco ETC's as well. That one you pointed out also needs a probe which the two I mentioned come with. It really depends on what you want to use it for, but the standard vanilla here is the two I mentioned and Johnston Control as well. A search will bring up all of the relevant info for you. Hope this helps you out.

Depends, that one works for 100*F to 240*F.

Good Point about the temp range. I saw "Ambient Temperature Range -40 to 140 Degrees Fahrenheit" but kind of ignored the ambient part of that. So i guess that out of the questions now. Thanks for recomendation of the other two controlers.

With temperature controllers I would suggest that you find one that can run off 110V AC (WortMonger hinted at this). Less junk = lighter headache.

Search eBay, there are a number of PID and gated controllers for sale on the cheap. You can find spec sheets for them with a quick google search. You should also consider your uses and the sensor's thermocouple compatability.
For example: I recently purchased 3 cheapo PID temperature controllers that can operate on 6 different thermocouples. They came with K-types, which are accurate over a HUGE (0-1100 C) range, but can accept the more applicable T-type, which will offer a more granular accuracy for brewing purposes because it's accurate between -185-300 C.

Back