starter smells funny...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matc

Reaction score
So I've had this 6 months old wyeast scotch ale on the stir plate since last thursday and finnally, it started to ferment today ! There's a nice krausen but the starter smells like banana. The temperature was around 70-71F the whole time. Is this normal ? I took 2 gravity readings in the meantime so I hope there's no contamination

So I've had this 6 months old wyeast scotch ale on the stir plate since last thursday and finnally, it started to ferment today ! There's a nice krausen but the starter smells like banana. The temperature was around 70-71F the whole time. Is this normal ? I took 2 gravity readings in the meantime so I hope there's no contamination

71F is on the high end for Scottish Ale (1728) so it probably made some banana esters while fermenting. Put it in the fridge 12 hours or so before you brew and decant off the clear liquid above the yeast cake. That should get rid of most of it.

Back