First All Grain Batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lordmorphous

Reaction score
I made the jump to all grain after doing 4 extract batches. I made Jamil's Blonde Ale that I found in the recipe section. I hit 1.047 for an OG which gave me a brewhouse efficiency of about 78%. I was pretty happy with that. 4 days later, my brew is sitting at 1.010 and is a beautiful golden straw color and smells wonderful. This is the lightest colored beer I've made to date. I'm going back and forth on whether to rack to secondary to help clear it up or not. I understand its not really necessary, but I just love the process; plus it allows me to actually see my brew since I have it in a bucket now. I really can't wait to get this thing bottled and carbed so I can see how it has turned out.

To anyone thinking about going all grain. The process seems a little complex and intimidating, but once you get going on the first batch all the pieces just seem to fall together. When I finished, I sat there thinking "That wasn't so bad after all."

:) good job. I did my first yesterday but i only got 64%. So ya did good

@Lordmorphous, about how long did it take for you to complete the process on brew day? Also good job on the efficiency!

A friend and I have done a few all grain batches so far and I feel like it takes less time each time we do it because were getting better at it. Looking over the notes from that day we started the mash at 2:56pm and didn't finish up everything until 7:05pm, that didn't include setup/clean up time either.

Congrats! I just moved to AG myself, after about 8 batches. I couldn't be happier. It's worth the extra effort and time. I also found it much more rewarding.

@Lordmorphous, about how long did it take for you to complete the process on brew day? Also good job on the efficiency!

A friend and I have done a few all grain batches so far and I feel like it takes less time each time we do it because were getting better at it. Looking over the notes from that day we started the mash at 2:56pm and didn't finish up everything until 7:05pm, that didn't include setup/clean up time either.

I'm must guessing that it took about 6 hours from the time the first water went on the burner, until the yeast went into the wort. Give or take a little...

I'm must guessing that it took about 6 hours from the time the first water went on the burner, until the yeast went into the wort. Give or take a little...

LOL I have brewed 16 AG batches so far, and you're already a 1/2 hour faster then me! How long did you mash for? I tend to do long mashes myself. I could probably speed things up, but I enjoy the relaxed pace of mashing as compared to the clockwatching of the boil.

Congrats. I really enjoy AG brewing. I'm sure you will too.

This thread has given me a bit more confidence in doing all grain or at least partial extract. My next batch will be a partial so I can get used to the grains and stuff. I'm looking forward to doing this. Just gotta wait till I get my latest brew out my wort so I can crack on.

I bottled this Monday and just couldn't wait and opened one today. It has pretty decent carbonation already and is absolutely amazing. Not only the best beer I have ever made, but the best I have ever had! All I can say is "wow!" and keep drinking! And to think, it will only get better as it sits in the bottles conditioning...:rockin:

Congrats! I did my first AG about 3 weeks ago. I have to say, it is much more satisfying that doing extract, at least to me. Just bottled today and gearing up for the brew next weekend.

I too have recently started AG (past couple months). After doing a dozen or so extract batches and reading these forums, I decided to make the jump and try AG. Now that I've done 4 or 5 AG batches, I don't think I'll go back unless time doesn't permit. I too love the process and have gotten better as I go. The beer definately tastes more "real" as AG. I highly recommend anyone thinking of trying the process to do it, you won't regret it. Sure, it seems a little intimidating at first, but it really is alot of fun.

I went all grain doin BIAB about 15 minths ago today I will do my first all grain batch with a mash tun. I am so excited. I also have a new brew set up out in the garage so it is like starting over again. A simple honey weizen is on, wish me well. After a few years on the electric stove my new burner should be a helpful addition, maybe I can get 4 gallons to boil in under an hour.

Back