CO2 Leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrfish

Reaction score
been over my system over and over... got a slow leak somewhere! burning through 5lb co2 in force carbing 2 kegs and falling about a gallon in last keg. Have done a starsan spray bottle check but think it's a slow as I'm only burning a 5lb tank a month for force carbing 2 kegs and falling short on last gallon out of 2 kegs.

What is best method for checking system for slow leaks?

A tub full of water. Get it all wet so the bubbles that naturally stick to dry things come off, and wait a while. If it is submerged the leak will puddle against the surface until it is big enough to come to the surface. The bad part is that you need to submerge every part of your system as it is setup. Start with the tank and regulator and move outward.

I had a slow leak on the top of my corny out post once. I found it the next morning. I wish I had only lost CO2. It was the last to go. :(

Sometimes the starsan isn't bubbly enough for a slow leak. Try looking up recipes for home made bubbles with Dawn dishwashing liquid, or get a commercial leak detection fluid. Also try cranking your gas psi up when you test for the leaks, like maybe to 25 or 30 psi. Slop the bubble solution on all your connection points with a small acid brush if you have one.

Best of luck. Leak hunting sucks.

As Spring Chicken said, anything like co2 distribution splitters that you can submerge in liquid will reveal leaks quicker. I don't think I'd recommend submerging a regulator though.

Back