Blending sours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephc

Reaction score
I brewed a Flander's red that has been fermenting with Wyeast Roeselare blend for about 6 months. I took a sample and to my surprise it is already very sour (maybe even too sour), but it seems to lack body and complexity. Perhaps it fermented to warm... I may add .5 oz of oak chips for a few weeks, which will hopefully add some flavor. I am also considering blending it with a non-sour ale just before bottling. If I do blend, will I need to kill my sour to prevent bottle bombs? Any recommendations as to what/how to blend this sour with? I could probably bottle now to prevent additional souring since the gravity has reduced from 1.064 to 1.002. What should I do?

The souring process won't stop unless you pasteurize it. It will slow at cold temperatures (< 40F) and produce a different flavor than room temperature.

Has it been souring in a carboy? If so, place a wooden stick in the neck to allow a small amount of oxygen to enter. This will simulate souring in a wooden barrel. It may take another 6 months to reach your desired complexity.

I recommend you blend 75% sour with 25% non-sour (fully fermented). If you bottle it, I recommend 750ml bottles (with cages) since they're designed to withstand higher pressure.

Personally, I prefer to pitch:

1. ale yeast + brett for primary
  2. sour culture (lacto, pedio, etc) in secondary with slight oxygen exposure

Complexity will really only come with age. The french oak cubes will also help add complexity and our my preference even though the flavor is not traditional for the style.

I would hold off on blending for a little while because these beers change considerably with time. And yes sourness can be reduced over time. The Brett will interact with alcohol + acids to produce esters. If you look on the chart near the bottom of Raj's article
http://www2.parc.com/emdl/members/apte/flemishredale.shtml
You will see that the Brett and Pedio have barely started working by 6 months. This will add much more complexity.

I'd say wait at least a year before you decide to blend. And if and when you blend, definitely follow the instructions on ryane's blog.

Back