Raw Meat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One can only wonder. I've seen two rationalizations for the meat, one was to provide nitrogen compounds for the yeast, the other was to absorb the sulfur byproducts. Tradition has it that rats/mice would fall into the barrels and drown. Since farmhouse scrumpy was served to fieldhands, the farmers didn't worry about it and it did give a distinctive flavor to the cider.

If you look around, you will also find ale recipes that call for a whole chicken. As in, cut its throat and toss it in.

Palmer recommends tossing out any batch of ale which has fur or feathered creatures in it. I'll drink to that!

some of the recipes on that site are just plain weird.
others have different ingredients listed in the description than in the ingredient lists.

This jumps out at me...

12 pounds, mixed apples (make sure they're clean with no blemishes)
1/2 pound, raisins
1/2 pound, raw meat
1 gallon, water at 70 degrees
champagne yeast (tradition calls for bakers yeast)

So.... clean the apples, leave the meat uncooked... :confused:

people eat raw meat....lol... but I can't say I like the idea of leaving it in a vessel full of bateria food for ~3 weeks at room temperature. Better hope you made a HUGE starter for that batch!! HAHH!

david_42 said:
If you look around, you will also find ale recipes that call for a whole chicken. As in, cut its throat and toss it in.

Now THAT'S disgusting. Chickens are the filthiest creatures you can imagine. They crap in their own food and all over each other. They have things caked to their feet and rear end. It's one thing to see one all dressed up pretty in the store, it's quite another to pull one out of the coop and cut its throat.

Chicken **** beer.

I've heard of some weird sh#t to use in beer. Some of it actually sounds OK, but raw meat..... who in the hell thought of that? That's almost as bad as the yeast cultures from baby poo that Charlie P. describes in one of his books.

Brewsmith said:
We've found one thing that Cheese has an adversion to. :D How many disgusting things happened this weekend, Cheese? :p

Not enough, unless you count the guy in the group who tried hooking up with a fat chick the first night (which we c-blocked since he has a smoking hot wife at home) and then got us kicked out of the strip club for falling in love with a stripper.
You might also consider 4 guys in a room with 2 beds and one bathroom as gross.

usin raw meat is just a tradition.. dno if ppl still do it, iv heard it doesnt really change the scrumpy much and was just used as a source of nutrients, thought to be missing from the juice

if anyone ever goes to cornwall, visit the cyder farm! its awesome

http://www.thecornishcyderfarm.co.uk/

Back