Whats your commute time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your average commute time (one way)

• 0 - 15 minutes

• 16 - 30 minutes

• 31 - 45 minutes

• 46 - 60 minutes

• 61 - 80 minutes

• 81 - 100 minutes

• 101 - 120 minutes

• Over 2 hours each way!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I average about an hour to 75 minutes each way, unless some asshat feels the need to roll his car, then it could take upwards of 3 hours to get to/from work. I usually don't mind the drive unless I am pressed for time, thats when a jam up usually occurs so that I am guaranteed to miss an appointment or make it somewhere before they close.

40 miles each way. Takes between 50 and 60 minutes depending on how heavy traffic is. It is a major pain in the ass at first, but you do get used to it after a while.

Less then 3 minutes each way. Used to be about 15-20 each way, but we're on a special project in an office that just happened to be right by my house. Been there since May and will be there for the foreseeable future. Everyone hates me when it snows.

Mine is about 30 minutes, just enough time to start getting into a brewing podcast

Mine is about 15 minutes. And sometimes I complain about it! (Used to commute a little over an hour each way to work before switching careers.)

Well, I made the move and I am now working with about an 80 minute commute. 10 minutes to the MARC train Station, Train into Downtown D.C. 50 minutes and about a 15- 20 minute walk to my office. Its a bear, but at least I am not in the car hitting the brake and gas pedals! I will report back in a couple of months after doing it everyday haha.

About 30 mins with the stop in the kitchen for breakfast while going from the bedroom to the basement. About 2 mins if I skip breakfast.

I live 5 minutes from my office:rockin:
But before this job, my first ever job with normal hours, I was a consultant in the oilfields of west Texas and Southeast New Mexico. I bought my pickup in November 2000, by May it had 47,000 miles on it. I worked a field 120-150 miles north of here for one client, and another client was working me 225 miles east of here, and I made that round trip 2 or 3 times per week. I'll take the 4 mile drive any day.

Another DC metro area rider. I was doing 42 miles each way from Manassas, VA to Gaithersburg MD. 66, 495, 270 all dreaded roads = 50 minutes to impassable each way depending on truck fires, buses going off overpasses, snowpocalypes and what not.

Since the beginning of the month I've got a new commute, 4 miles/ 15 minutes max. Lots more time for brewing and drinking!

brettwasbtd said:
MARC train Station

which one? I used live in the house behind Dickerson. Years later I lived in Loudon and took either Harpers Ferry or Brunswick depending on when I made it out of bed.

0. I work from home. My commute is from the kitchen (coffee maker) to my office up one flight of stairs.

Just drive down the hill and end up near the river. Its between 5-10 minutes and I usually don't finish two songs from my iPod before I get there.

If there's traffic it's actually faster to bike there, but I got a flat tire and haven't fixed it yet :(

My commute varies depending where the customer is. Sometimes I only walk to the dining room / office, tomorrow I have to drive hour and 30 minutes. I did work for 16+ years with a 35 mile commute, about 1 hour.

15-20 minutes. I live in/around downtown Dallas and work out in the suburbs. So my commute is against traffic.

Before i moved up here I had a 3 minute drive to work. But, I guess that's the trade off for moving to a big city.

Lived on Long Island and had a 36 mile 1hr. 10 minute commute for 18 years. Moved to North Carolina and have a 46 mile 1 hour commute for the last 3 years. Driving has never bothered me. With gas the price it is it depends on what you drive that's for sure.

Takes me 35 minutes when traffic is clear. With a **** load of my family being from Chicago, by biggest ***** about Detroit is the lack of f'ing good mass transit. Ugh.

I live near Boston and have a 30 mile commute. It typically takes 45min to an hour 15 during peak. I can set my own hours, so I leave the house at 6am and am at my desk by 6:30. I've always been a morning person, most brew days start around 6am.

Another DC metro area rider. I was doing 42 miles each way from Manassas, VA to Gaithersburg MD. 66, 495, 270 all dreaded roads = 50 minutes to impassable each way depending on truck fires, buses going off overpasses, snowpocalypes and what not.

Since the beginning of the month I've got a new commute, 4 miles/ 15 minutes max. Lots more time for brewing and drinking!

Oh man, that is a wretchid commute. Especially since the american legion bridge is always a mess. I will say that I have had decent luck missing the big traffic events - I was at my office's Home Base in Fairfax the day of that truck fire. So I was heading home the opposite direction! Then January 26, that day the snow started getting real bad at 3pm... that was my birthday and I took the day off to Brew! Took my dad 6 hours to get from Alexandria to McLean that day. Took some coworkers 10 hours!

which one? I used live in the house behind Dickerson. Years later I lived in Loudon and took either Harpers Ferry or Brunswick depending on when I made it out of bed.

Just moved to Germantown. Takes about 10 minutes to get to the Germantown MARC station. I work as an IT contractor at the Library of Congress so I just walk from Union Station to LOC, little over 15 minutes. I will say that the MARC train is so much better than metro. And its actually cheaper - go figure! So ya, not traveling as far as you on the train, but the train beats driving anyday.

Generally speaking, mine is usually in the 35-45 minute range. Of course, it can be longer depending on what's going on with the road and Massholes. When I'm going after a job, I try to keep the commute distance/time to under an hour (worst case). Then I work to get my day to start at a time when traffic is moving well enough that it makes for an easier commute. If it's longer than an hour (for most of the days) then I look to relocate closer. I've not needed to do that in about 10 years. I could be moving soon though, since I'm going after a job in another state. Although I could get a full time job in MA, where I won't need to move right away. I'll be looking to move soon though since I need more space (need a place to put a keezer soon)...

I have 36 miles each way from Providence, RI to Norwood, MA. But either shift I would be scheduled for would allow me to miss traffic (6-2:30 or 12:00-8:30). I love this job, but if I had to commute during peak hours, count me out.

Don't forget more miles on car equals more service. Gas is costing me $50/week. insurance rates are higher, etc. Best thing I bought for commute was satellite radio. No more bull**** morning shows. 80's metal all the way to and from.:rockin:

9 minutes. I can come home for lunch, quick walk with the dog, and be back before patients show up for the afternoon.

I live 94 miles from the resort I work at. I have an apartment there paid for by the company and I end up sleeping there most nights because I work 4 14+ hour days then take three off. granted my days off involve a lot of sleeping...

My daily round trip commute is just shy of 75 miles. Not bad considering a lot of other people around here. From the time that I walk out my back door to the time I'm sitting at my desk is right around 40 minutes, but that also includes a walk from the parking lot, through security, across the site, and into the building that I work in. Probably a little more than 5 minutes in that part alone. There's people that complain about it, but I try to keep in mind that at least I have a job to commute to, which is a blessing on its own.

I can't believe the commute times some of you guys have. I lived in Pittsburgh for a couple years, and had a 30 minute commute. South Hills to "Dahn Tahn". That is totally the upper limit i would be able to deal with. Here in Meadville, If I take the 4 lane, and hit all 4 lights, it is 8 minutes. If I take the back road it is 8 or 9. Unless there is a Tractor, or Amish Buggy holding up "traffic".

If I drive I have about 70mins each way, I have been taking the train which is a 10-15 drive to station then an hour train ride. Wife is about 10-15mins but she gets to take the kids in morning give me traffic over getting 3 girls to daycare anyday

Big Rapids to Manistee 80 miles each way All on 2 lane roads (except for 11 miles). Most of it through Manistee National Forest. Lots of deer and turkey and in the winter snow. Doing it for it 5 years now!
Two Hours!

depends on the day. i'm working at 2 stores (same company) right now. one is less than 2 miles away. takes about 10 minutes since its all 25 zones with plenty of lights that i can never hit right. the other is about 15 miles away, about 30 minutes.

For most of my career I've had a decent 30-40 min commute. One two year period of massive construction raised that a bit, but nothing unbearable. We're considering a move to more rural upstate NY, and I will still be working in somewhere in the city. Based on transfer location, I'm probably looking at 70-90 min, maybe even slightly more. Its well worth it to get out of this city though!

Back