Old azz 10 gallon challenger score

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chenslee

Reaction score
My friend got two 10 gallon Challenger kegs for effing free (I hate him so much right now).

photo.JPG

I've identified them as old Firestone Challengers with small race track lids, you know, with the post spacers and plastic dip tube.

Despite searching around here, CHI, Williams, Keg Connection...etc, I have yet to find a clear path to getting these re-furbed. I can't find a replacement PRV, and the threads I've read here say that the Williams's spacers are too tall and need to be shortened.

The first Challengers seem to be unwanted bastard children, but the effort of course is worth it for a pair of 10 gallons.

Any guru's on here that know the best solution to getting these ready for the beers?

Do the PRV's leak?
Won't this work:
http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3_15&products_id=18

Will either of these lids fit?
http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3_89&products_id=514
http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3_89&products_id=516
That should solve your PRV valve issue since it looks like those lids have the standard style PRVs.

Other than that it should be the same O-rings and poppets as a 5 gallon.

Edit: (I just fubared my post)

relief.gif

I think the PRV's are "D" type.

This is what the lid looks like, with the footless lockbar. BUT the valve looks like the "D" type; the whole body screws out.

Keg%20Lid%20-%20RaceTrack%20Small%20-%20%20Gray%20PR%20Valve%20style.jpg

But CHI says to put a gray PRV in it. I have some gray PRV's on my kegs, I'll try those. But I'm certain that these race trackers have the "D" type valves.

I guess what you are saying is that I could just replace the whole damn lid. hmmm. That might be the best option.

Edit: (I just fubared my post)

relief.gif

I think the PRV's are "D" type.

This is what the lid looks like, with the footless lockbar. BUT the valve looks like the "D" type; the whole body screws out.

Keg%20Lid%20-%20RaceTrack%20Small%20-%20%20Gray%20PR%20Valve%20style.jpg

But CHI says to put a gray PRV in it. I have some gray PRV's on my kegs, I'll try those. But I'm certain that these race trackers have the "D" type valves.

I guess what you are saying is that I could just replace the whole damn lid. hmmm. That might be the best option.

Looking at the prv exhaust holes on your lid...is the collar that the holes are in round or does it have wrench flats on it. From the picture it looks like the welded on round type that would use the "A" style.

You can get the special square o ring for the race track lids from chicompany too.

Back