Quick wine question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I have some pineapple wine in a primary bucket. It is time to transfer it to a carboy. Unfortunately I just realized that all 5 of my 5 gallon carboys are full at the moment. I have a four 6.5 gallon ones that are empty but I am worried about the head space. Will there be enough CO2 to minimize the risk? the fermentation is still pretty active.. I will be bottling from one of the 5 gallon carboys in a few days and can transfer it again if need be at that time.

Well, you could just wait. I'd rather wait for the proper sized fermenter than rack twice. Close it up, and don't open it until you have the right sized secondary. That is better than racking to a fermenter with too much headspace and then racking again.

If you have just a tiny bit of headspace, topping up with water or using sanitized marbles works. But that's more for a very small bit of headspace, not 1.5 gallons.

well it is in a bucket with a towel over top of it right now. I could add another 2 cans of concentrate and a gallon of water ( plus sugar) OR I could just slap a lid and airlock on the bucket. I just took a gravity reading and surprisingly is is at 1.030....thought it would be way lower from the way it has went. I will leave it alone for a few days until I get the other stuff bottled.

Back