Safe level to carb glass bottles??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
I thought I would ask here because, well, you never know who's giving answers on the newbie section unless you know them.

I designed a Bavarian Hefeweizen and according to "Brewing Classic Styles" winners in this category are usually carbonated 3.6-5.1 vol. I primed to 4.0 volumes (it worked out to two cups corn sugar to my 4.75 gallons). On the Beginner's forum everyone is saying I'll have bottle bombs, but it isn't any of the regulars like Revvy and if the winners of the nationals went to five volumes what did they bottle in? I am confused. You think I'll be alright?

You'd have to bottle in bottles designed to withstand that kind of pressure, for instance the 11.2 oz Belgian bottles.
4.0 in regular longnecks would make me very nervous, especially when being shipped in hot, bumpy trucks.

AHH Sh*t! I guess it is just keep them in a box at this point and pray. If one goes off I'll recap. How do you cork those Belgian bottles, or can you get them that use crown caps? I don't want the really big ones. I never drink that much at one time before it gets warm, plus my fridge won't let them sit upright.

4 Volumes is about the very limit of what I would consider in a standard bottle, you might be OK.

Belgian bottles are typically good to 6 or so, the ones with the champagne style corks.

Back