Dry Wheat Yeast Opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewski459

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - I'm looking for opinions on using dry wheat yeast for a hefeweizen. I searched through some old posts and the conclusion that I came to was that they work well for American style wheat beers, but none will really give you a banana and clove flavor, which is what I'm looking for. Normally I wouldn't bother with another post, but the threads were kind of old, so I was just wondering if anything had changed since 2008 or so and if anyone was having any luck with one or more of these. Thanks!

To my knowledge, nothing has changed. If you want the hefe classic bananna and clove use liquid yeast and make a starter.

There is the ferments T-58 has a spicy / peppery flavor that could make a nice wheat beer but It's not true to style hefeweisse.

Danstar's Munich Wheat Beer Yeast

Aroma is estery to both palate and nose with typical banana notes. Does not display malodours when properly handled. Munich yeast has found widespread use in the production of German Weizen and Hefeweizen.

i had a really subpar experience with danstar munich dry... just my opinion, but go for liquid if you really want a good hefe.

Back