Nicer looking way of storing bottles? for inside and the garage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steakandale

Reaction score
Do bars still get their bottled beer in those hard cardboard cases with the reinforced bomb-bay-doors on top?
Back when I was in college those harder cardboard cases were dormroom packing gold. They were awesome for storing amd moving.
I need something like that for bottle storage, and something more presentable for filled bottles inside the house.

What are you all using?

I saw one person ordered online some cardboard 24 packs, had to buy them in bulk and spent over 100$ though, not sure if thats what I want.

I just use extra milk crates and stack them....I can usually get ALMOST a full case, about 21-23 bottles in each square crate depending on which type of bottles.

CL is a good start to look for some, that is where I found a bunch of mine.

When I buy enough stuff at my LHBS, they give me one of the boxes that their six packs come in to carry the stuff out in. Each box holds four six packs, so I just keep my bottles in six pack holders in the boxes. You could probably get them from a local liquor store if you wanted.

Just about all bottles nowadays are No-Return, so the cases have pretty much gone from the nice durable cardboard to the disposable paperboard.

What I mainly use are the 12 pack boxes of certain domestic brands as they're pretty sturdy. Brands that come to mind are Goose Island, Leinenkugels, and Sam Adams. I've also got a couple of Michelob Craft Series Sampler boxes that have a flap, making them somewhat recloseable. Not sure if they're all that way.

Office supply stores have them for about 20-25 for ten. The medium duty ones can support about 500 pounds whch means stacking 6 or 7 high is no problem. A box will fit 4 six packs in carriers or about 28 or so bottles loose. And when someone looms I. You're office is doesn't look like you are hoarding 30 plus gallons of beer.

Tsi

Yep. My neighborhood "Office Depot" had bankers boxes in a stylish black ha hah. Not sure how long term they are, but I bought a 10 pack for about 16$
Looks much better than a pile of bottles n junk for inside the house.

I had posted about the banker boxes over in another thread, but I didn't send along any pics... I have a few now. :D HERE's the link to the ones from OfficeMax

I tend to be a little... well, to be honest I'm a self-inflicted selective OC personality after having pretty much been a slob half my life. I like things "just so" now, and that includes not having mismatched bins of bottles hanging around the house (or mismatched bottles within those bins... see what I mean?). I also didn't want my bottles rattling around when moving them. After taking a few measurements I discovered that the banker box was the perfect fit, at a good price. I bought nice, clean 6-pack carriers from the LHBS that permanently live in those boxes, and the bottles are secure. It's also a good way to store filled bottles, as it keeps 'em nice and dark. And if you print your own labels, you can print an extra for each box and slap it on the outside so you know what's in there.

I tend to keep 3 cases of each type of bottle (see above... I currently keep 5 styles of bottle) to allow for spares, handouts that never find their way home, and keeping a sixer in deep storage to see how it's going to age over the long haul. I can slowly replenish the missing ones over time and still have enough for the next batch.

The only caveat is that you can only really get 20 of any type of "shorty" style bottle in there as they're too wide, and they don't fit into a standard 6-pack carrier either. Soooooo, I cut cardboard dividers for those bottles.

Here they are nicely stacked:

The inside with standard longnecks:

The inside with custom cut dividers for "shorty" bottles:

I found 8 of the boxes that budweiser was using for their aluminum bottles at the local recycleing center when I was getting empty bottles. They are pretty heavy duty and strong, and have stood up to being refilled many times with homebrew. I just rotate them in and out with empty/full bottles. Paper taped to the front serves as a good "label."

When I was a beer-line cleaner, I found some good Corona boxes at a couple of the bars sitting around, which I grabbed.

Back