Blow Off Tube Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennyd

Reaction score
Are there any rules of thumb as to when to use a blow off tube? I understand that higher gravity beers may need one. But being inexperienced, I'd like to avoid a volcano if I can.

Are there any certain styles, OG limits, or any other variables that would determine one to use a blow off.

I've seen how some have attached them to the airlock on their buckets but it seems like they would be much more ideal to be used with a carboy. How are they connected to the carboy?

I would just keep an eye on fermentation if you can, if you see krausen coming up too close to the neck of the carboy, or lid of the bucket, just disassemble your airlock, dump the water and attach a 5/8 inch (fatter than your standard tubing) plastic tube to the inside stem of the airlock, drop the other end of the tube in a bowl or maybe a 2 liter with some sanitized water in it.

Well the only real safe way to avoid a volcano is to use a blow off tube. I have never heard of any rules about using them but I will not hurt anything if you do. I use one for the initial 3-4 days of fermentation.

I use a 1.25 inch tube which fits snufly into the carboy opening.

I use one with all my beers for the first few days--until fermentation has slowed a bit. Then I attach an airlock.

With a carboy, I have a bigger diameter tubing (1" inner diameter, I believe) that fits snugly in the mouth of the carboy.

I made a batch of single hop bitter with no need for a blow off tube. Next time I made a double batch and BOTH needed a tube. insert:>mad dash to hardware store<. Ya just never know when things are gonna go:ban: so just be prepared.

Thank you for the quick replies. I suppose it does make a little more sense to use a blow off all of the time "just in case."

As I have yet to make my first brew, I'll have to wait and see what happnes......:eek:

Usually, you get a piece of really wide tubing and just jam it down into the mouth of the carboy, so that it seals. I think the carboy mouth is 1-3/8 inches in diameter, so that's the tubing size you use (probably listed as 1-1/4 inner diameter). Get 3-1/2 feet of it, so that you'll have enough to bend 180 degrees and point down into a bucket next to the fermenter.

Here's a too-complicated DIY blowoff tube construction:

http://www.examiner.com/x-12136-Wic...miner~y2009m7d13-Build-your-own-blow-off-tube

I put a blowoff tube on most of my carboys for the first couple days of fermentation. Better safe then sorry. There are several ways to do it, but I just use the orange carboy caps with the two nipples on top and put a hose off the larger nipple to a growler.

Primary_15hr_blow_off_2.jpg

I have found that whenever I use Wyeast Irish Ale, Scottish Ale, for dark ales or California Lager for steam beer I experience stronger fermentation activity. I have also had less blow off with similar batches that were AG than I did when brewing with extract. Montanaandy

Thanks for the laughs. Those last two posts were great. Also the pics are very helpful. I understand that the water needs to be sanitized. Do you mean it needs sanitizer mixed in, or it should be boiled?

Thanks for the laughs. Those last two posts were great. Also the pics are very helpful. I understand that the water needs to be sanitized. Do you mean it needs sanitizer mixed in, or it should be boiled?

Do you mean the water in the container you are using to catch the blowoff?
This water does not need to be sanitized as long as you are sure it will not be drawn into the fermentor. If you keep the blowoff catch vessel at a lower height and do not drastcally drop the temperature of your fermentor while the blowoff is hooked up, no solution will be drawn from the blowoff container to the fermentor. If it makes you feel better you can fill the blowoff catch container with starsan solution, but do not reuse the starsan afterwards unless there was no blowoff.

Ok...thank you. For some reason I assumed that the water catching the blow off would need to be sanitized.

The good news about that is that I'm catching on to the importance of sanitation in the whole process.

Unless you expect the water to be drawn back up the tube and into the carboy, you don't need to use sanitizer in the water. And you shouldn't expect that to happen.

Another option for using a blowoff is to get 1/2" tubing and push it onto the inner piece of an airlock. This way once the heavy fermentation is done you can pull out the airlock with the blowoff tube and push in a regular airlock for the rest of the fermentation. While it is not necessary, it makes it easier to clean the blow off tube if it only used for a few days instead of 3-4 weeks. Blowoff water can also get pretty disgusting if left sitting there for a long time.

Where are you guys getting your 1/2" tubing? Does it need to be a specific type?

Can be had all over the place. Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, most Home Brew shops, on line at Home Brew Shops and kegging supply shops, industrial supply shops etc, etc. For non high heat such as blow off, pretty much any vinyl hose will do. Make sure you know the inside and/or outside diameter of the hose as applicable.

Nothing like running down to Home Depot and running into a group of "helpers" and saying "I need a 4' section of blowoff tube before my bung explodes out of my primary and I have Krausen everywhere!!":eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

lol. very funny!
:)

Back