Apflewein / Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brutus Brewer

Reaction score
Hello,

I will be getting about 10 gallons of unpasturized fresh pressed apple juice tomorrow and plan on making a Apfelwein / Hard Cider drink from it. Should I pasturize the juice or leave it be?

Definitely dont pasteurize it - that will set the pectin and it wont get clear.

If the juice is fresh, hasnt been sitting around, and was pressed under sanitary conditions, dont add k-meta/campden. You will get more apple taste and be able to drink it sooner. If any doubts about the condition of the juice, use half the recommended dose.

I'd recommend using an ale yeast and cold crashing to taste - usually somewhere between 1.004 and 1.012

When I add sugar, I use a mix of 2/3 organic cane sugar (light turbinado) and 1/3 dextrose. That ferments out the closest to apple sugar. dextrose on its own ferments out with a bit of a beery taste - which is why brewers consider it "neutral"

If you are going to drink it within a few months, you can skip the sugar and you will get more apple taste. Bumping the alcohol level will help it keep longer, although if you add more than 6oz/gal, it will be at the expense of the apple taste.

US05 works best with some sugar. SO4 and notty work well with or without sugar or honey

Latest posts

Back