Yet another "check out my water report" thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salad 419

Reaction score
Just got the results back from Ward Labs:

pH 6.6
TDS 256
Na 30
K 3
Ca 42
Mg 3
CaCO3 118(total hardness)
SO4 24
Cl 55
CO3 <1
HCO3 24
CaCO3 20 (total alkalinity)

Do you have any specific questions or are you looking for generic feedback?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/ez-water-adjustment-spreadsheet-135095/

That's a good spreadsheet to use to see where you stand.

Incidentally, your water is really close to mine. Calcium, SO4 (sulfate), magnesium and hardness is quite low. That's good for lighter beers with slight additions and it's a good base for adding a bunch of salts for darker beers. Mess with the spreadsheet a bit.

I'm still learning myself so don't take this as an assertion of knowledge.

I didn't have any specific questions. I just wanted to post in an advanced discussion thread so I could be cool. I'm thinking my awesome plan backfired.

Thanks for the link for the spreadsheet. Unfortunately, the computer with Office on it just crashed, so it will be later before I can mess with it. I've found a couple online that I've playing around with.

I've been using Spring Water, but at 82 cents a gallon, it adds up. As cheap as I am, I figured I'd try to use my tap water to save some coin. Every beer I've made with the local water has been terrible. Except the last test batch that I used Campden tablets in. There's still a slight "sweet acidic????" taste to that batch, but not the terrible off flavors that were in the original batches. I'm not sure if that flavor is a result of the water or the fact that I just threw together a crappy recipe with leftover grains.

I'm usually not real precise when I brew. In a similar manner that cooks just throw stuff together. I don't exactly measure the amounts of Gypsum I put in the water. I just throw some in. BUT, I'm really going to get "scientific" about this in hopes that I can use this water with decent results.

Yes, I'm brewing all-grain.

And, I admit that I don't check pH. I bought some of the "beer strips" and the mash read 4.2. I checked plain water and it said 4.6, so I thought they didn't work. I'm sure if I'd follow the correct procedures, I may be able to correct the unknown source of my off flavors associated with my local tap water.

Back