Milling Grains At Home

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twolvesmnfan

Reaction score
So my first all-grain batch turned out to be a complete failure. Was able to keep my mash at the right temp and everything. Boiling the wort went great also and I didn't even spill anything when pouring into my fermenter. But it all went tumbling down when I took my OG reading. 1.022...uh oh!!! Not even close to the estimated 1.048. With a little swearing and then trying to figure out what went wrong it dawned on me. I was so damn excited to do all-grain for the first time, I used unmilled grains!!! Luckily this was only a 2.5 gallon batch. So I'm guessing I'm screwed but is their anything I might be able to do? Also, I've been looking at milling my own grains, how does this mill look? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tall-Cast-I...414?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ec6c2ae6

Well, you're not totally screwed. You can boil up 3lbs or so of liquid or dry malt extract, chill it and add to the fermenter and you'll have a regular gravity beer on your hands. It won't be the greatest beer ever, but at least you'll be using some of the grain and all of the hops. As for the mill, the general consensus is that the corona style mills don't work very well and you should get a roller type like barleycrusher or crank and stein. They cost more but work better.

Dude I'm so sorry about your first batch, but its a little bit funny too! I really don't think there's anything you can do to make this right. You may as well continue through the process, try and ferment it out, see what you come up with. May learn a few other things along the way. You could add some sugar to bump up the SG but it'll end up tasting not so good maybe?
In regards to the mill, you might look at a mill more specific to brewing, I'm not familiar with the one you linked but I know if you are milling ten or more lbs of grain that one is gonna wear you out!. Monster mills I hear are good and I use a Barley crusher. You can attach a drill motor to these which makes milling MUCH easier. They will be more expensive but they are well worth the money. Good luck! Press on! You'll do good!
Cheers

I use a JSP Malt Mill and it's just fine. I get consistent crushes and efficiencies with it. My brother has a Barley Crusher and gets the same overall performance. The Monster Mill is another good choice.

The mill you linked to will work, however I suggest spending the cash to get one you can hook up to a drill or pulley system on a motor. The convenience is worth it to me.

Yeah, if you're interested in salvaging it, boil up a few pounds of DME in some water, chill it, and add it to your 1.022 experiment. Worst thing that can happen is you'll be out a few bucks for the DME. Were I in your position, I'd probably be eager to move on, in which case I'd dump it and start with some milled grain. :)

Regarding the mill, if you can afford a fancy roller mill, then definitely go that route. But if you're just starting out in AG and want to mess around, it's worth mentioning that some HBT members have really made the most of those inexpensive Corona mills. Cue the obligatory link to Revvy's world famous Ugly Junk:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/

Hmmm to try to salvage or not. Well I'm gonna have to sleep on it tonight but I have a feeling it is going down the drain. Money is tight right now so I won't be able to buy a nice mill so we'll see what happens. I'm not sure if my LHBS has a mill because it is more of a wine shop but I'll have to give them a call tomorrow. That ugly junk corona mill station looks tempting but I'm pretty sure the girlfriend would kill me if that was sitting anywhere in our apartment. She already gives me enough crap for using half the storage closet for fermenting and conditioning :)

Well, just order your grains from Midwest Brewing Supplies down in Minneapolis and have them crush it. I bet if you order by Monday evening you'd get the stuff Friday. It's nice to support local businesses, but if they can't crush it then go elsewhere. Plus, Midwest is still local enough. :)

If you have some extract, go ahead and salvage it as noted above.

Well hopefully I have to make a trip down there soon because it's much much cheaper down there. With shipping I'd be paying 9 cents more per lb at the quantity I'm wanting to get. My LHBS better hope they have a mill!!

Alright, another question. How long do you all believe I could store milled grain in a zip lock bag with most of the out of it (not vacuumed)? I live in Minnesota so my apartment is fairly dry this time of the year.

Alright, another question. How long do you all believe I could store milled grain in a zip lock bag with most of the out of it (not vacuumed)? I live in Minnesota so my apartment is fairly dry this time of the year.

If you order it online, you'll get it in vacuum sealed packs and they're good for a decent amount of time. I've used upwards of 6 month old sealed grains and they've been fine, and I've seen many posts here where there weren't any big issues.

For milled grains in Ziploc, I'd estimate that you should use them within 2 months, but that's an educated guess and not science. You can get 5 lbs into a 1 gallon bag, unmilled, btw.

So my first all-grain batch turned out to be a complete failure. Was able to keep my mash at the right temp and everything. Boiling the wort went great also and I didn't even spill anything when pouring into my fermenter. But it all went tumbling down when I took my OG reading. 1.022...uh oh!!! Not even close to the estimated 1.048. With a little swearing and then trying to figure out what went wrong it dawned on me. I was so damn excited to do all-grain for the first time, I used unmilled grains!!! Luckily this was only a 2.5 gallon batch. So I'm guessing I'm screwed but is their anything I might be able to do? Also, I've been looking at milling my own grains, how does this mill look? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tall-Cast-I...414?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ec6c2ae6

John Palmer talks about using a mill like that in How to Brew, chapter 17. It isn't the best mill for using a traditional mash tun but it isn't $150 either. If you do go that route, read a bit about "conditioning malt", wetting the grain some which makes them "squish" instead of grinding them dry as it will make the milled grain form a better filter bed.

I use a mill that is identical to that as I do BIAB and I can use the fine grind without worrying about a stuck lauter or stuck sparge.

Well I'm going to wait and see if the LHBS crushes, otherwise I think I'll go with the Corona style and condition the grains. I'll be doing 2.5 gallon batches so I'm not too worried about killing myself cranking the thing!

Use a good quality zip lock and throw one of those hand warmer packs in it before you squeeze out the air. It will use up all the oxygen in the bag and you will even see the bag shrink. Store in a cool dark place it will last for months with no problem.

bosco

I'm happy with my Corona Mill. Not as ugly as some, but works great for me!

Yep. It's old and reliable. Sometimes it doesn't do the prettiest job and sometimes it takes some tweaking to get it there, but it does get you there.

I can usually tear through all my grains for a 5 gallon batch in about 15 to 20 minutes depending on the beer.

If I won the lottery I might go all out and get something nicer. But the Corona is working fine so it's hard to find any real fault with it.

I couldn't find a corona mill locally,& my grains had been in the bag in the fridge for a month. So on brew day,I broke out this old mini food processor. I put in 1/2C of grain at a time,pulsing 3 times for 3-4 seconds per pulse. Seems to have been a nice crush. With the 3.3lb of gold LME,I got an OG of 1.044 for 5 gallons. I'd say that's pretty good for my first one with mashing.

Turns out my LHBS does have a mill so no grinding for me!! Maybe someday when I get out of my apartment and start brewing on a larger scale I'll get a nice one.

Turns out my LHBS does have a mill so no grinding for me!! Maybe someday when I get out of my apartment and start brewing on a larger scale I'll get a nice one.

IMO/IME it has less to do with scale than control over your ingredients. For me, getting a mill made a lot of sense since I was buying grain in bulk (by the sack) and wanted to be able to brew whenever I wished to. Having to go to a store to mill grain wasn't an option (they wouldn't mill my grain for me). I used my mill at my brew-buddy's place for about 1-1/2 years before I moved to where I am now (from a one bedroom apartment to a 2/1.5 house, renting it). Now I really have the space to store things better AND be able to brew at home.

Having a QUALITY mill makes a huge difference. While there's plenty of people who love their ugly mill, I don't see it. I had a BC first (7# hopper) until I outgrew it (my batches required refilling the hopper at least one time). I now have a Monster MM2-2.0 mill with the hopper and extension. That gives me a 39# hopper capacity. I am thinking about motorizing the mill, instead of using my cordless drill to turn it, but that's a fairly low priority.

Moral of the story... Get a solid mill the first time, or you'll [eventually] be looking to replace it later. Spending a bit more now means you'll end up spending less in the long run (factoring in the replacement later).

BTW, I did read through the threads about setting up the ugly mill. IMO, far too much needed to be done to turn it into a decent barley crusher.

When I do decide to buy a mill I'll probably go with a higher quality one. As of right now I'm only buying 10 lb bags so I'll just have them milled when I buy them because I'll use the 10lbs up before it goes bad.

I like the one midwest has already mounted on that curved piece of wood with a big hopper already on it. but it's also $169! Haveta wait till tax time for that. But it would be nice to have one I can set the lash on. It's about the same as setting the lash between blower rotors.

+2 on the barley crusher, I use to order crushed grains from Midwest but wanted to have bulk grain on hand to brew when ever I wanted. Ordered the barley crusher and the first time I used the hand crank at factory settings, forgetaboutit, went out and bought a variable speed drill and used it for the second batch and it was a breeze. Don't even think about the Corona mill.

I was leaning toward the barley crusher and then I did some research on the Cereal Killer mill from Adventures in Home Brewing. $90 delivered to your door and it mows through 16 lbs of grain in less than 2 minutes. I am super pleased with mine.

Beyond pleased/happy with my MM2-2.0 with the honking 2" diameter [hardened steel] rollers on it. Makes milling grain super-easy. Plus the 1/2" shaft is easier to adapt to use with a motor later. Of course, the 1/2" diameter shaft does mean you need a better drill to power it, but I already had a 1/2" chuck drill (DeWalt 18v cordless hammer drill :ban:)...

I have a batch coming up that will use about 29# of grain in it. I won't need to refill the hopper at all. I will need to use two buckets to catch the grain though. Well, unless I can find a larger bucket to mill into that is. :D

Not sure why people are downing on the Corona style mill but I love mine. Its setup to work with my drill so it chugs through grain like nothing. If you condition your grain, you can fine tune it exactly how you want it and it cost next to nothing to do. It has probably cost me $30 for everything (mill, bucket and pin to use my drill).

I think its a valid option and doesn't take up much space.

I love my Corona mill! After using one I'd never spend big money on the high dollar mills.

I couldn't find a corona mill locally,& my grains had been in the bag in the fridge for a month. So on brew day,I broke out this old mini food processor. I put in 1/2C of grain at a time,pulsing 3 times for 3-4 seconds per pulse.

That reminds me of my very first all grain batch. I "crushed" my grains in a blender. I used paint strainer bags to separate the wort from the grains. I had no chiller, so I let the wort cool in the bucket overnight before pitching. To a died in the wool AG brewer it was a trainwreck. All my friends raved about that beer (BierMuncher's Cream of Three Crops BTW). Just goes to show that you don't need a ton of fancy or expensive gear to make good beer.

Stauffbier said:
I love my Corona mill! After using one I'd never spend big money on the high dollar mills.

+1 to this! I motorized mine and the last brew day we (had some brew buddies over) made 30 gallons of beer and my corona milled 80+ lbs of grain that night, and we had 70ish effiency, when I was BIAB I had a consistent 82%.

imrook said:
. As for the mill, the general consensus is that the corona style mills don't work very well

Not true. Many of us use these mills with great results, probably WAY more people than higher priced mills AND we get great efficiency.

Be careful about "general consensus". The numbers reporting success with this mill are staggering!

I spent the money on a BC before finding out about Corona mills. The BC works just fine and I enjoy grinding the grain by hand although a drill easily attaches. Brewed last weekend and my daughter ground up at least 10 of the 18 pounds by hand.

Friend of mine found a brand new Corona, two of them actually for 30 dollars total at the local swap meet. He built a little stand for one of them, I think the other he planned to use in the kitchen. He's totally happy with the thing, has a drill connected to it and he saved 90 bucks over the BC. Hmm.. that's 90 dollars for more brew stuff. :mug:

I was leaning toward the barley crusher and then I did some research on the Cereal Killer mill from Adventures in Home Brewing. $90 delivered to your door and it mows through 16 lbs of grain in less than 2 minutes. I am super pleased with mine.

I bought a cereal killer too... it arrived today. I didn't think I was challoenged in any way by things mechanical but this thing is whoopin my butt. I can't seem to get it to work. Tried different gaps and different speeds. Either the grain just falls right through it, or none goes through (hardly) at all. I'm at a loss.. I see videos of the things at work and that frustrates me moreso. It has me thinking the knurls are not sharp enough to "pull" the grain between the rollers.

I use a spark plug feeler gauge to set my gap at .036. Make sure your drill is not in reverse or if using a handle make sure you are turning clockwise. If your drill is reversed it won't pull the grain through

I have a corona mill. It was cheap. It works great. Granted, it's a little inconvenient to hand-crank 10 pounds of grain through it, but anyone who talks trash about it will have to answer to my totally disproportionate right arm!

Nothing at all wrong with a corona mill... I read a bit more on the "roller type" crushers and came across a few comments that light a few lights up for me... I have my problem solved. The no driven roller and my cereal killer was jammed ... so I took it apart and deburrecd the ends of the roller where the knurl WAS "hanging" over the end, and the eccentrics that adjust the gap had a bit of a rough finish (the metal trades calls it a fillet) instead of a nice sqaure where the diameters chaged and it was really loading the bearings. I jeweler fines the fillet... reassembled witha drop of canola oil on each end. MAN OH MAN! this baby screamed tho0ugh nine pound of malt in just over a minute.... and my cordless drill didn't have a fresh battery in it. Video to follow next time I crush grains. Can't say enough good about $90 the cereal killer.

IMO/IME, going through nine pounds of grain in 'just over' a minute is milling too fast. Crush suffers if you run through too fast. Better to run the rollers at a more reasonable rate. Generally, I target about 250rpm (about 1/2 speed in the 0-500rpm range on my cordless DeWalt hammer drill). I even opt to go a little slower when possible. I use the side handle on the drill (connect it up for milling grains) so that the torque of the drill doesn't spin it from my hands.

BTW, I've not had any issues with my MM2-2.0 like mentioned by Vernacular (with his cereal killer mill). I have to wonder if QC is a bit lacking with some of the other mill makers.

Moral of the story... Get a solid mill the first time, or you'll [eventually] be looking to replace it later. Spending a bit more now means you'll end up spending less in the long run (factoring in the replacement later).

^This

I tried to go the cheap route with my first mill and did the modified pasta/clay roller (do a search if you want to see one). Price was right but it was a huge pain the butt and my efficiency suffered with it and it took probably 25 minutes and a lot of sweat to crush my grain. I ran about 2 batches through it before I tossed it in the trash. I picked up a Crankandstein for about $70 from brewmasters warehouse and have never looked back. Efficiency is awesome and it takes me all of 5 minutes to crush 10 pounds of grain with my electric drill. Wish I would have bought one from day one.

IMO/IME, going through nine pounds of grain in 'just over' a minute is milling too fast. Crush suffers if you run through too fast. Better to run the rollers at a more reasonable rate. Generally, I target about 250rpm (about 1/2 speed in the 0-500rpm range on my cordless DeWalt hammer drill). I even opt to go a little slower when possible. I use the side handle on the drill (connect it up for milling grains) so that the torque of the drill doesn't spin it from my hands.

BTW, I've not had any issues with my MM2-2.0 like mentioned by Vernacular (with his cereal killer mill). I have to wonder if QC is a bit lacking with some of the other mill makers.

I have worked inthe metal working trades (generalmachine and screwmachines) and I thought exactly that about QC. The ecentrics looked like they had been tumbled which polishesthings up and removes light burrs. Themore I think about my mill the more I think the filets were the problem. And that was only oneside, the other was fine. The burrs on the rollers were generated when they were knurled it was displaced metal. You machinists knowwhat I mean. Knurling "squishes" them metal into the knurl like formed (rolled) threads instead of cut threads. allthis talk... lol sounds like I'm complaing about the the... I love it. the speed I used, the battery was about dead so enev with the triggerpulled allout (in) it was likely less than halfwhat a fresh charge would have given me. They recommend 300 RPM.

MM2 FTW!!! I love mine. Hook up my cordless drill to it and rip through a good size grain bill in no time at all.

Back