Adding yeast to keg for stuck fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shildebr

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I brewed BM's Black Pearl Porter, OG around 1.065, including 4 oz of lactose and 8 oz of Maltodextrin.

I used 1 sachet of nottingham dry yeast instead of London Ale. When I got home I realized I should have pitched 2 sachets, but I only bought 1, so thats what I used.

I just kegged this beer yesterday, took a gravity reading and read about a 1.025. I think this is still pretty high. The lactose and MD should only add about 7 or 8 points to the FG right?

So, the beer is sitting at room temperature, sealed in the keg.

Should I add another packet of nottingham in there, attach an airlock to the IN side, and try to get another fermentation going for a week or so?

Typically, I would just leave the beer as is and not worry about it, but I've got 3 others on tap right now so I can stand to wait a little while to get this one as good as everyone says it is.

I just kegged this beer yesterday, took a gravity reading and read about a 1.025. I think this is still pretty high. The lactose and MD should only add about 7 or 8 points to the FG right?

Why do you think 1.025 is high? Notty has an attenuation of ~75%. That would leave you at 1.016. So, if you add the 7 to 8 points from the lactose and MD, you are right on target.

Should be fine, and since you kegged, you don't have to worry about bottle bombs.

Why do you think 1.025 is high? Notty has an attenuation of ~75%. That would leave you at 1.016. So, if you add the 7 to 8 points from the lactose and MD, you are right on target.

Should be fine, and since you kegged, you don't have to worry about bottle bombs.

Well, maybe its not high? Beersmith estimated the FG at around 1.015, and I thought it accounted for unfermentables in that number. So my assumption that 1.025 is high is primarily based upon that.

If I'm on target, then thats great I'll throw it in the kegerator.

How does it taste? If it's too sweet then you know what you have to do. The BrewStrong podcast on attenuation has good info. If you're going to repitch, you want to make a starter and pitch it when the starter is at high krausen, otherwise the yeast is likely to just go dormant and sink to the bottom.

Well, maybe its not high? Beersmith estimated the FG at around 1.015, and I thought it accounted for unfermentables in that number. So my assumption that 1.025 is high is primarily based upon that.

If I'm on target, then thats great I'll throw it in the kegerator.

Beersmith really can't estimate your FG. It just gives you a straight 75% or whatever for an expected FG. It doesn't take your ingredients or yeast strain into consideration at all.

If the SG isn't moving, and it doesn't taste too sweet to you, I wouldn't mess with it. If it tastes too sweet, or you feel it's too cloying, then you may want to consider attempting to fix it.

Back