Old Refridgerator - What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontman

Reaction score
I am getting a new fridge in the next couple weeks. Here is my dilemna: My old fridge will not fit down my basement staircase (even with the door off and the coils tightly against the back.)

This is killing me. The appliance people are going to be carting off a perfectly servicable beer storage/ fermentation fridge unless I can figure out how to make this thing smaller to get down the stairs. Is it possible to chop up a fridge without killing its vital organs?

Probably not. Any chance you can temporarily remove rails or something to get it down.

you should be able to remove the door and get it down sideways or something...or snake it around the corner through the door and then down the stairs.

i used to be mover...there is ALWAYS a way.

EDIT: oops..you already mentioned door :D

I've got a 26" wide stairwell and a 30" minimum fridge with no door.

I've pretty much given up hope for this. Guess I'll just have to get a chest freezer. Oh well.

you could always take out a wall

(or buy a chest freezer)

:D

:) In this case it would have to be a floor and I have just spent months restoring the 150 year old random width plank floor that I would have to go through.

Just found a. 8 ft chest freezer that I think would fit for $135 on Craigslist .

why not sell your fridge on craigslist to... that would cut the cost of your chest freezer.

How old is your old frig?
Might be more benifical if it is 5+yrs old. to sell it and get a newer chest or frig
due to power consumption.

Back