Fire it up, inside the garage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
Do you guys think its a good idea to brew inside the garage if the door is all the way open for ventilation? Its going to be in the 40s and windy this weekend and I was thinking about just doing that to stay out of the high winds.

I brew in the garage. Don't worry about it. Just crack the base of the garage open and point a fan towards the door if youre worried about carbon monoxide

I do this everytime.

Sometime I will just leave the garage dooor open 6" to a foot and open the side door for cross ventilation. Never had a problem.

Except I can never find the Advil. ;)

I often brew in the garage, with the garage door only open about 8" or so (so the pugs don't escape, and I leave the access door completely open. Never a problem.

Absolutely. It's the only place I brew (well, on the back patio if it's completely still out).

Every once in a while you'll get a schmutz on a forum telling you it's still dangerous. Nonsense.

Done it before as well. We don't really get freezing cold here. But we do get some serious rain. Sometimes it seems it rains everyday :eek:

Absolutely. It's the only place I brew (well, on the back patio if it's completely still out).

Every once in a while you'll get a schmutz on a forum telling you it's still dangerous. Nonsense.

If it worries you, your garage probably has a smoke detector in it anyway - and if not it needs one since that is where most house fires start.

A smoke detector will alert you if the Carbon Monoxide is a threat.

If it worries you, your garage probably has a smoke detector in it anyway - and if not it needs one since that is where most house fires start.

A smoke detector will alert you if the Carbon Monoxide is a threat.

You'd need a separate detector for Carbon Monoxide. Smoke Detectors don't always warn without the presence of smoke, unless you bought one that's designed to do both.

I also have done all of my brews in the garage, though it's only been 7 so far (since June). I'm wondering how it will be brewing out there in the colder months. Anyone do unheated garage brewing in the winter?

I also have done all of my brews in the garage, though it's only been 7 so far (since June). I'm wondering how it will be brewing out there in the colder months. Anyone do unheated garage brewing in the winter?

Never.

The propane burners plus vats of water tend to steam heat everything.

Gotcha!

The only bad part about winter brewing is cleanup. Brrrrrrr!

+1, I always brew in my garage. I'm actually brewing coffee right now :D

Fixed that for ya' Gnome. Nothing to see here. No webcam necessary.

I am just not ready to find out that, even tho OB is a Male, he doesn't look like Invader Zim o'er a pair of Dbl D's. That at least beats Mr T anyday.

Anyone do unheated garage brewing in the winter?

I'll be doing it in Wisconsin - I have heard it's not a problem for the - nippy on the feet but the brew has no problem boiling. If you think it will be light a flame and place your had over it to see if it's hot!

Back