questions on EdWort's Award Winning Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sflcowboy78

Reaction score
ok i know this may sound like a real noob question but i don't know because i have never done this before except with a mr beer kit and only one batch at that. i want to try making EdWort's Award Winning Apfelwein and i was wondering if i could use kayro corn syrup instad of corn sugar they are pretty much the same thing right? and also if i could use quick acting yeast like what you get in the store for making bread. any ideas or suggestions?

try the main Apfelwein and put corn syrup in the search this thread drop down :)

BTW its n00b :D

SuperiorBrew said:
try the main Apfelwein and put corn syrup in the search this thread drop down :)

BTW its n00b :D

thank you i forgot about the search feature, sad thing considering i used to be a mod on an IT forum. and i understand it is noob but i am still noob i have not even opened my first bottle of home brew yet it is still priming and then i will let it condition for atleast 2 more weeks after that.

sflcowboy78 said:
ok i know this may sound like a real noob question but i don't know because i have never done this before except with a mr beer kit and only one batch at that. i want to try making EdWort's Award Winning Apfelwein and i was wondering if i could use kayro corn syrup instad of corn sugar they are pretty much the same thing right? and also if i could use quick acting yeast like what you get in the store for making bread. any ideas or suggestions?

Don't use that syrup, if you have too use table sugar. Definately don't use bread/cake yeast. Go to your local home brew shop and buy montrachet for a $1.25

While you are at it you might as well pick up corn sugar.

Don't waste you time & $$$ with cheap substitutes. You will only be disappointed when the results are lackluster.

:mug:

sflcowboy78 said:
I want to try making EdWort's Award Winning Apfelwein and i was wondering if i could use kayro corn syrup instad of corn sugar they are pretty much the same thing right? and also if i could use quick acting yeast like what you get in the store for making bread.

Corn syrup is mainly glucose, corn sugar is dextrose. Corn syrup can also contain other added ingredients, such as vanilla flavouring. While you can use it, it's not a one to one substitute.

Bread yeast will ferment sugars into alcohol, which means you can use it. However, different strains of yeast have different characteristics, and the things that make a good bread yeast are not the same things that make for a good wine/cider/beer yeast. Using it is likely to change the result drastically.

In summary: the substitutions that you're considering will have unpredictable effects on the wine. If you're prepared to accept the possibility of failure the ingredients and time cost wouldn't be overly high, so you could give it a try. Even though you might end up with something drinkable, it won't be Edwort's Apfelwein.

You *can make beer from your local supermarkets products, but you'll make much better beer if you buy the right products from a homebrew shop.

thank you for your time and advise guys i need all the help i can get. my last 3 shinks have all quit on me. lol. no but really i am new to this and i am sure all these questions have been asked before and i should have used the search function. but again like a noob i did not but thank you for your time and advice.

Apfelwein is very very very simple to make. It would be a good batch to make to get your feet wet. There is no boiling involved... just get your ingredients, dump them in a bucket, and wait two months.

for those who are interested:

all dextrose is glucose but not all glucose is dextrose.

On the other hand pretty much all the glucose in corn syrup should be dextrose.

My thoughts are if you want to make Apfelwein use Ed's recipe & directions.

Its simple and makes good drink w/o much effort or cost.

The ingredients are not hard to come by if you have a homebrew shop within an hours drive. Its it more than that you might as well do online purchases since gas is $3 a gallon.

Just my 2 cents.

:mug:

The local Bel Air here sells "granular corn sugar" in their bulk natural items. I just bought some at $1.something a pound. It might be worth looking into.

It is possible to use bread yeast to make beer and cider, the only problem is that it is not as flocculant and does not fall out of suspension the way other yeasts do. From what I have seen, the bread yeast does not contribute any off flavors, but I would still go with the proper yeast. The yeasts we get for brewing are specially designed to make a better product than any store bought yeast and the scientists who breed them have a good understanding of their characteristics and how they function best.

I have made JAO mead with bread yeast and the yeast kicks up clouds if you just look at it. Basically if you are going to bottle it you need to move the carboy into location one day ahead of time to let the yeast settle.

Back