Feedback on my bitter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philjohnwilliams

Reaction score
Hi ,

I am planning my first all grainbatch this weekend, and want to start with an English bitter. I have come up with the following recipe and was wondering what people thought of it.

7 lbs marris otter
.5 lbs crystal 80
.5 lbs crystal 10

1 oz EKG pellets (5.4 AA) 60 min
1.5 oz EKG pellets 5 min

S-04 yeast

I plan to mash at 155f for 60 min

I'm sure there is other relevant information that I have left out, let me know.

I would consider less crystal 80, maybe 1/2 of what you've got there. 1/8 of the recipe being crystal malts is a bit high. Your higher mash temp will give plenty of body. Do you have access to English ale yeast? Wyeast makes a really nice ESB yeast that would be good.

i'd consider using that c80, but lose the c10. maybe add some special roast ( 1/4 lb ) to make the bitterness shine, but not be too strong. i'd also space out the hops more, and not use so much up front. bitters are more about back-end hops. maybe 1@60, .5@30, .5@1, and dry hop with .25

Thanks for the quick input, guys. I think I will drop the C80 down to .25, I'll also try spacing out the hops a bit more. I do have access to the Wyeast,but for this batch i am going to stick to the S-04. I have been using it a fair bit recently and i figure going with something i know here will be one less thing I have to worry about.

I say this way too often, but think about a 20 minute addition for this trademark English style and add a bit of simple sugar,say soft brown,at about 5-10%.

Back