Bad experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robh1111975

Reaction score
Had a bad experience yesterday. Went to the garage, pulled the tap, and only a half a glass of beer left in the keg.
Good thing is I get to do a brew day! Time to search the recipe file

man, you're gonna learn fast that an empty keg is not the appropriate trigger for a brew day. I think the better trigger is when you rack to keg. Gotta keep something in the pipeline.

I have right now 4 kegs full, one just about empty, 2 cases in bottles,3 more brews fermenting and doing a 10 gallon batch this weekend.
You have to stay on top of this stuff man. An empty keg with no full ones waiting is a sad thing and should never happen.

Don't you know it's against homebrew law to have an empty carboy, there should always be something waiting on an empty keg not an empty keg waiting on something to ferment. Our hobby is reallly forgiving that way, you can always have a beer wait a little longer in the secondary, but you'll be hard pressed to get one to move out of the primary any faster.

Cheers and get to brewing!

Got a few kits on order. In the process for a second keg so I don't have this experience again.

I can't even begin to imagine what you are feeling right now.... ieee... I guess its time to suck up some commercial swill while you wait!!

another reason to also have extra kegs available.

i would recommend to have at least 1.5-2x the number of kegs than the number your kegerator holds. i personally have around 6x (6 keg kegerator, around 38 kegs). i do use my kegs as secondary, and for aging of meads and wines though too.

This raises a question I had, how do you know how much beer is left in a keg?

This is how I keep track

Attachments

• 20171122_191245.jpg
    20171122_191245.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
Back