Why is Miller 64 being pushed so hard? Anyone try this at all?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So after all of this discussion are there really any quality light beers out there that calorie counting individuals can seek out?

Probably not. Calories and ABV go together, which are closely tied to what's IN the brew. Fewer grain sugars means lower ABV which means fewer calories. So I would really doubt that there is a GOOD light beer out there.

glenn514:mug:

So after all of this discussion are there really any quality light beers out there that calorie counting individuals can seek out?
Sam Adams light is the best I have had, but, it's not that light calorie wise.

Miller 64 is what happens when you take a glass of water and pour a little good beer into it.

It just amazes me the the economics of the big brewers (BMC) would rather spend millions of dollars on these add campaigns rather than investing an extra 10 to 15 cents per bottle to put out a better product. I kind of wonder if these new beers put out by the big BMC companies are just older recipes reformulated to act like something new.

I was too young to buy Miller Dakota when it came out but I recall this being advertised as something new grown in the heartland that your father's father would enjoy drinking back in the day. Can anyone burst my memory bubble and tell me how this stuff tasted?

If they a more flavorful beer, they'd lose their customers. We are nit their customers. Their customers like the beer they make.
For the display, the big guys have a lot of pull in their stores and are there everyday. The craft guys are not in there, nor do they sell the volume, to demand the shelf space. Its economics for sure.

My "go to" beer when I'm mowing the yard is Gatoraide. I personally would rather hydrate up and then drink something good, after the fact. To each his own. Of course, I run about 20+ miles/week. I can afford the calories. My neighbor prefers to slug down a 12 pk of lite beer. He's 300+ lbs.

I'd think that if one were watching calories, and a craft brew fan, they'd drink something like an English Mild instead of an Imperial Sweet Stout with extra lactose. Still flavorful, way less calories.

My lawncare BMC is Miller High Life and I'm not ashamed of that. I will admit the 64 advertising has been fantastic though. On a side note, anyone see Miller's other venture into Miller Lite's new can with a 2nd hole to pop? Ridiculous. They're trying to drum up social media attention by inviting drinkers to upload the creative ways they've found to open the 2nd hole. Commercial has people opening it with trophies, pool cues, keys, all sorts of weird stuff.

I'm not a personal fan of bmc. There was a time, though, when that was all I drank. My tastes have just changed from quantity to quality. The same holds true for food, wine, & spirits. They do have some hilarious commercials, though!

My wife and I laugh and sing Popeye the sailor man along with the commercial. (yes it a old beer drinking song melody) My favorite part of the song is when they say they "cut out the filler" Does real beer have filler? Or do they mean all the good stuff that makes beer good..?

I'd figure "filler" would be the rice and corn and so-on. And I don't believe for a second that it's been taken out.

Who knows, maybe they've taken out all the barley?

It's like making love in a canoe, it’s f***ing close to water.

I absolutely refuse to pay for beer from the large conglomerate beer companies.

wheathead said:
It's like making love in a canoe, it’s f***ing close to water.

I absolutely refuse to pay for beer from the large conglomerate beer companies.

Does that include all that they own? Widmer, Shock Top, Goose Island, Stella and it goes on and on

There is a lot of good beer that's been bought by BMC. Sucks but true. If I don't want to spend a lot of money I buy fosters. Same price as bud.sometimes cheaper. At least is has flavor for 11.99 a 12pk. I'm not ashamed to admit I like a cheaper beer.

Does that include all that they own? Widmer, Shock Top, Goose Island, Stella and it goes on and on

Absolutely. Have you seen the documentary ‘Beer Wars’? I highly recommend it. The Big Three have virtually cornered the market on beer. Any upstarts or microbrewery doesn’t stand a chance to market their beer to the public. The Govt condones the triad distribution of brewery – distributer – consumer, with the help of distributer lobbyists that keep the craft beer out of the stores.

Since I have been AG brewing, I haven’t bought anything except Yuengling on occasion.

BrutalBrew said:
There is a lot of good beer that's been bought by BMC. Sucks but true. If I don't want to spend a lot of money I buy fosters. Same price as bud.sometimes cheaper. At least is has flavor for 11.99 a 12pk. I'm not ashamed to admit I like a cheaper beer.

Fosters is owned by BMC.

edit: They are owned by Fosters Group and Heineken I think. My bad.

Part of me would really like to find a non-PBR beer that tastes today similar to something of quality my grandpa might have enjoyed after and hard days work on the farm. Every few years I try a Miller High Life bottled beer and decide that this below is the best thing I related to that beer.

Several years ago I discovered Grain Belt Premium which I find fairly OK on a hot summer day after doing yard work but I just have not yet found a BMC that is that great. I am by no means a beer snob (that is much more my wife's area) and I drink less than 12 homebrews/store beers a week. Something just kind of bugs me that as a country we soend billions of dollars on beers that are made very cheaply and seem to get worse rather than better with every new product these big companies introduce.

Anyone know if Stroh's is being made anymore?

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely. Have you seen the documentary ‘Beer Wars’? I highly recommend it. The Big Three have virtually cornered the market on beer. Any upstarts or microbrewery doesn’t stand a chance to market their beer to the public. The Govt condones the triad distribution of brewery – distributer – consumer, with the help of distributer lobbyists that keep the craft beer out of the stores.

Since I have been AG brewing, I haven’t bought anything except Yuengling on occasion.

I highly recommend "Ambitious Brew" by Maureen Ogle. It is a lot more factual about the history and current state of beer in the US. If "the man" were suppressing craft beer, why are their record numbers of new, or in the works, micro breweries right now?

What I don't get is they say" we removed the filler".....what filler? The taste filler? I understand that craft brews are not for everyone, but the "triple filtered, removing the fillers, cold aged," talk really gets me.:mad:

I highly recommend "Ambitious Brew" by Maureen Ogle. It is a lot more factual about the history and current state of beer in the US. If "the man" were suppressing craft beer, why are their record numbers of new, or in the works, micro breweries right now?

A 1.88% increase since 2007. Just think what it would be without restrictions. All I am saying is that the Big Three have a stranglehold on the throats of the beer-drinking public.

What I don't get is they say" we removed the filler".....what filler? The taste filler? I understand that craft brews are not for everyone, but the "triple filtered, removing the fillers, cold aged," talk really gets me.:mad:

I enjoy the punch top can and vortex bottle.

Also bud light platinum is "triple filtered" and has "top shelf taste"...what a joke.

I enjoy the punch top can and vortex bottle.

Also bud light platinum is "triple filtered" and has "top shelf taste"...what a joke.

lol....we need a "what ridiculous claims have you heard thread"(though it's probably been done....10 times)

Every summer there's a plague of billboards for COLD-FILTERED this and FROST-BREWED whatever, and it just makes me laugh. If you don't know that lager is brewed cold already, doubleplusfrosticecold and so on sounds like a great thing! Because beer stays at the temperature it is when you brew it, right? Forever? Especially in crappy minimart fridges?

They spend a lot on advertisement and the average weak minded zombie goes and buys the product. There's nothing wrong with buying BMC products if you actually like the beer, but if you think you will be the worlds most interesting man because of a beer , that's a different story.

A 1.88% increase since 2007. Just think what it would be without restrictions. All I am saying is that the Big Three have a stranglehold on the throats of the beer-drinking public.

Actually it is a ~33% increase going from 3.8% to 5.68% of the market share...

How do they have a stranglehood? How many brands of beer are in your average supermarket? Ten years ago it was bmc and maybe fat tire. Now, I can get ~50 different craft beers at my local Safeway, and I live in the middle of nowhere. This is the best time period for beer in the history of this country, and it is only getting better.

It has to be the low calorie, low carb appeal to a lot of the female persuasion drinkers, particularly the SIL's. I tried it, worse than most. I won't drink lite beer, won't drink Bud under any circumstamce and don't like Michelob either. I will and do consume Miller Genuine Draftm, cans only, with reckless abandonment in the summertime. To each his own.

Latest posts

Back