Grand Cru

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DraconianHand

nudge, nudge, wink, wink
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I tried doing a search for this, but because there is a minimum number of characters required, I couldn't search for "cru".

My question is, what is "grand cru"? Is it a style? I read something on Wikipedia that mentioned it was a designation of the best beer the brewery produces. Are there any guidelines for what qualifies as a grand cru?

So I went to my Oracles (www.askmenow.com) and they couldn't come up with anything better than what's already on Wikipedia.

It's term used for the best beer made by a brewery, usually reserved for Belgium beer styles.

I made a belgian grand cru per a recipe... It had 6.6lbs lme and 3lbs of honey. It should come to something like 7-8%abv, so it's probably a big beer also.

Yes, apparently it originated as a wine making term and is specific to a certain type of wine. The term Grand Cru, as applied to beer, seems a bit ambiguous.

Besides being a "best beer" the term also applies to seasonal beers and beers brewed for special events like weddings.

I'm doing mine as a Belgian Ale with honey and spiced with Corriander and Orange Peel.

Snoqualmie Falls Brewery makes a nice Grand Cru:

Spring Fever. Orange hues, rich malt flavors, spicy coriander overtones, almost tropical aromas reminiscent of crushed pineapple and banana, this is one beautiful beer for fans of Belgian styles! Spring Fever is crafted from the finest English Pale Ale, Munich, Carastan and Belgian Aromatic malts, Columbus and Czech Saaz hops, spiced with coriander, and fermented with authentic Belgian ale yeast. Don’t let your customers miss out on this special treat for Spring!

Technical Information
Alcohol, by Volume 7.0%
International Bittering Units 32 IBUs
Original Gravity 1.070

It's ready early spring, and out of season on tap, but you could probably still get a few 22 oz bottles.

http://www.fallsbrew.com/beer.html

Henry Hill said:
Celis has one. Big beer. Sweet and almost a syrupy consistency.

Don't care for it.

I really liked it but havent been able to find it for some time now. I do know it got you buzzed fast and it was an energetic buzz! :mug:

Snoqualmie Falls Brewery makes a nice Grand Cru:

Spring Fever. Orange hues, rich malt flavors, spicy coriander overtones, almost tropical aromas reminiscent of crushed pineapple and banana, this is one beautiful beer for fans of Belgian styles! Spring Fever is crafted from the finest English Pale Ale, Munich, Carastan and Belgian Aromatic malts, Columbus and Czech Saaz hops, spiced with coriander, and fermented with authentic Belgian ale yeast. Don’t let your customers miss out on this special treat for Spring!

Technical Information
Alcohol, by Volume 7.0%
International Bittering Units 32 IBUs
Original Gravity 1.070

It's ready early spring, and out of season on tap, but you could probably still get a few 22 oz bottles.

http://www.fallsbrew.com/beer.html
Care to give percentages on the grain bill ; )

Back