1st yeast starter- a couple questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been brewing nearly 13 years and have never used a yeast starter. Well, now is the time. So quick questions for you starter-freaks..

I am going to be away pretty much all day tomorrow (12 hours or so). I am not using a stir plate and I plan to use the starter on sunday. Is it going to be ok all day tomorrow without me there to shake it?

Also, should I use an airlock or loose foil over the top? If I use an airlock, do I have to take it off to shake it? (ie, open the top of the starter and risk possible contamination?). I have always been curious about how oxygen would be introduced to the starter when shaking if the airlock and cork were on.

Thanks guys
:mug:

I do not stir or shake mine that much, just when I first make it up and then if I happen to walk by it. I use foil and leave it on. And it will be fine tomorrow without your presence ;)

Latest posts

Back