Upright Freezer - Thermostat in door

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddmann

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Frigidaire upright freezer that I am converting into the kegerator(model FFU14F5HW). I will be using the Ranco controller off of the older chest freezer for the temperature control.

I know that there are not any cooling lines in the door, however there are electrical lines that are in the door. The thermostat is in the upper left hand side while the electrical lines go into the door on the bottom right. Does anyone know the physical layout where the lines cross the door?

I seem to remember seeing a couple of units similar to this one some time ago on here but cannot seem to find them now. I guess my search skills are lacking. :confused:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

In case anyone wants to know, it doesn't go throught the middle.

I took the shelving off of the back of the door and used the stud finder along the "great stuff" like foam. With the freezer plugged in, and using the stud finder, it seems that the electrical lines run up the side and across the upper 1/4 of the freezer door.

Might post pics later. Will have to have the links to my site. Depends on what the brew tell me to do... :mug:

Woot, woot!!! I'm just happy that I didnt hit the lines and the new kegerator will be in service soon. :rockin:

I got the same exact freezer and am curious how your conversion is going. Have there been any gotchas? I'm looking to fit just 4 corny kegs and 4 taps, looks like plenty of room.

I finished it last night while brewing. I took out the all of the wire shelving except for the top shelf and took off the plastic shelving on the back of the door and replaced it with the material that lines the comercial type walk-ins. My taps are on 17.5 inches from the top and spaced 4.5 inches apart (4 of them total). For the thermostat, I am using the Ranco controller off of the chest freezer. I didnt want the temp probe coming out of the front and didnt want to drill. There is a small drain that you can see in the inside lower back a little right of center. It drains to a tray that is on top of the compressor. Poke a little hole in that tube and fish it through.

Poured the fist pint last night. Overall, very pleased with this unit. Hope this helps. :mug:

Back