Buy a Beer Company.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is pretty cool. Even to only send $5, you could say you own a piece of a legendary American Institution.

hmm, seems sketchy... Until I can see a full corporate governance report, I think I'll keep my money.

Its a gimick. You helped them by donateing and what do you get in return? A certificate that says I donated and some beer. It might be cool if you actually got some stock or some sorta stake in the company. But you get nothing for your money other than a really over priced beer.

There was another thread about this on Friday, I think.

What I was wondering is how make flakes he will get. When you make a pledge on that site, you don't actually pay anything. You are just stating that that you will contribute.

I'm betting that he will get $300M worth of "promises", make an offer, and then collect no money from all of the supporters.

I like the disclaimer at the bottom of the page: "This is not a solicitation for monetary funds." It's not??

I hope it works. Right now they are the largest AMERICAN owned brewery. Chances are they will get bought by another foriegn entity and more of our money will be going out of the country. This makes me sad. I wish I had the money to buy it. I love PBR in the summer.

I am tired of seeing all of our big companies get bought and the profits shipped offshore.

seems to have some marketing muscle behind it:

And Pabst is not family-owned but instead held by a charitable trust, which recently put it up for sale. In 1985, Pabst was bought by Paul Kalmanovitz, who also snatched up other semi-defunct brands such as Lone Star and Olympia. When Kalmanovitz died in 1987, he left Pabst to a charitable trust in his name. But as charities aren't supposed to own for-profit companies, the IRS has given the foundation until 2010 to sell off the business.

With Pabst on the market, one potential offer has emerged with a gimmick as quirky as PBR itself. In what he says started out as a joke, Michael Migliozzi -- managing partner of advertising agency Forza Migliozzi -- is attempting to crowdsource the purchase of Pabst by creating buyabeercompany.com, a joint venture with ad agency the Ad Store.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/12/10/news/companies/pbr_pabst_blue_ribbon.fortune/index.htm?cnn=yes

If they actually manage to get enough pledges of money to get to $300 million, when (if) people actually start paying up, I hope they're planning to put the money in escrow until they actually collect enough to execute the transaction.

I have a better idea. We as a group but together our collective knowledge, back it up with some cash and open our own. I see that being a better option.

I volunteer to keep the hop room clean.

I have a better idea. We as a group but together our collective knowledge, back it up with some cash and open our own. I see that being a better option.

I volunteer to keep the hop room clean.

Come on. Let's band together and buy PBR. You know you want to bring Schlitz back to life.

A friend of mine who works for Pabst said that the link os a scam. Not pbr related.

Hm, looks like you are right. Well, those of you guys in the US could always just invest in a 20 gallon brewpot for my home brewery!

This isn't unheard of, if it worked it would essentially make PBR a consumer coop like REI or most of your local hippie health food stores.

Back