California "steam" beer fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed the California Common recipe from "Brewing Classic Styles". It recommends 62F fermentation, which seems to have worked very well.

Well isn't a proper steam beer supposed to be lager strains fermented at ale temperatures? We made an Oktoberfest steam last year using Marzen yeast and it was spectacular fermenting at 68*F.

Your set-up allowing you to hit 62 seems like it'll work out just fine. Good luck!

Did you use a swamp cooler or thermostatically controlled chamber ?
Can I use my SC ?

I used my Son of Fermentation Chiller (i.e. thermostatically controlled).

(Sorry for the late reply, been out of town on business...)

I have made a number of steam beers. I have done it in the peak of summer, where my basement can reach as high as 70, and I have done it in the depths of winter where we hit 58-60 in my basement. Both have been almost identical. I could not have picked out a real difference to be honest.

I am sure someone could have noted a difference between the two side by side. But not me. It is one of my favorite beers to date. And I plan on brewing another ten during christmas vacation.

Ive just finished brewing my California Common. Keezer was empty so its going in that. Funny thing was it appeared a strange green colour when it was in primary bucket (!). 1.064 :mug:

Ive just finished brewing my California Common. Keezer was empty so its going in that. Funny thing was it appeared a strange green colour when it was in primary bucket (!). 1.064 :mug:

Green? Ew... should've taken pictures!

So you're gonna keezer it? If it's set to beer serving temps I don't think you'll be making a steam anymore... it'll just be a lager

Back