Cream of Three Crops Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedHeadBrew25

Reaction score
Gents (and ladies),

I have just finished reading through the entire 42 pages of posts under the “Cream of Three Crops” recipe thread and have had no luck finding a conversion of the original recipe, which was an 11 gal. All-Grain batch into a 5 gal. extract w/specialty grains recipe. I really like the sound of this brew for the purposes of slowly showing my BMC drinking friends the true path to enlightenment.….

Can someone here do my a huge favor and convert this recipe for a humble (read: inexperienced/unqualified) extract brewer???

Below is the original recipe:

Batch Size: 11.50 gal
Boil Size: 14.26 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 2.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 14.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
4.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
1.00 lb Minute Rice (1.0 SRM)

1.00 oz Williamette [5.20%] (60 min)
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50%] (60 min)

Safale-05 Yeast

You'd need corn syrup and rice syrup, or you'd need to partial mash the corn and rice with two-row. You can't do this with extract and specialty.

A 5-gallon PM would look something like this (see DeathBrewer's Easy Partial Mash thread):

2# 2 row
2# Flaked Corn
0.5# Minute Rice

You will get very slow conversion here because you only have 2 pounds of diastatic grain, so you'll need 90 to 120 minutes and 2-3 gallons of strike water. You also need a way to hold the temperature of the grain steady for that much time. When you're done, add 3 pounds of extra light DME to the boil.

Thanks for the reply, but maybe I misspoke.

Sounds like I am in need of an extract recipe that uses corn syrup and rice syrup. Not quite ready to step up to partial mash.

Any help on the correct measurements for this type of recipe?

Thanks!

I don't know how this will turn out, but I assume you're looking for a light bodied beer... I'd try 4-5 pounds extra light DME (that's going to be your two-row), then maybe 1-1.5 pounds of corn syrup (1 pound of corn sugar), and 4-6 ounces of rice syrup or rice syrup solids.

Not quite ready to step up to partial mash.

Yes, you are. Trust me. You don't know it, but you're ready. If you can steep grains, you can partial mash. It's really that easy. You're doing the exact same thing... you're just doing it with a thermometer.

Seriously. Throw some 2-row in with that corn and rice and go for it. When you're done you'll curse yourself for thinking you couldn't do it.

I'd bump that 2 row up to 3 or 4 lbs for more enzymes but I'm not sure what that would effect how much extract you would need. Modern 2 row is very diastatic so 2 lbs might be enough.

Flaked corn will have a more corn like taste than Corn sugar but if you are just going for the dryness then use the sugar.

Rice will make a mess. Do you have rice hulls?

Back