Advice on Transplanting hops in the next week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregdech

Reaction score
So SWMBO and I have bought a new house and we are moving on the weekend. We transfer our existing home over to the new owners on July 31 and as such I will need to transplant my hops. I was hoping to hold out until the harvest, but alas that isn't an option. So, I was hoping to get some advice on how to go about transplanting my hops. I have three plants that I want to take with me:

1) a third year Nugget
2) a third year Mt. Hood
3) a second year Cascade

The Mt. Hood and Nugget are growing great and likely have a substantial root system going. The cacscade is doing OK, but not great, although that is likely because it isn't in a very good location. At any rate, I was hoping to get some feedback on the best way to accomplish the transplant. Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers,

Greg

dig up as much of the roots as you can. do this in morning or eve,not during the heat of the day.have a big tub of soil ready. dont forget to tag them.:drunk: keep them in shade after they are dug up. good luck.

tell the buyers the yard now comes with 3 large holes at no extra cost.

Cut the bines to 3-4 feet first. You'll lose the secondary roots when you dig them out, so the plants won't be able to support much. Don't worry if the bines die anyway, they'll be back.

Take the chance to dig BIG holes with lots of composted manure.

Yes I know it sounds like overkill... I have a hydraulic excavator (track hoe) and have had very good luck transplanting plants with moderate pruning. With the excavator I can just make one big clean scoop and bring up a nice root ball with minimal trauma to the plant. I don't know if something diesel powered is an option in your situation. You might be able to get a local contractor or equipment person to help you out in trade for some beer.

Worst case you know you will have some massive rhizomes to plant at your new house and you will be set for next year.

Try to keep the rootball as intact & undisturbed as possible. Keep them out of the wind when transporting. after they're in the ground, water them in well & use indole 3 butyric acid; it's most often sold as "root stimulator." It will not only help to stimulate root growth, it will also help to protect your plants against transplant shock. It's great stuff, safe for use on plants for human consumption. Here's the fact sheet: Indole-3-Butyric Acid (046701) Fact Sheet | Pesticides | US EPA You can get it at your lcl lawn & garden ctr; just be sure to check the label, there are some products that make the same claims, but contain no indole 3. Just follow the directions on the pkg. Regards, GF.

It hasn't been mentioned yet and I'm sure you thought of this, but how about asking the new owners if they mind if you leave the plants for another 2-3 weeks and come back for them? You're awfully close to a harvest and I don't think they'll survive the move this year.

It hasn't been mentioned yet and I'm sure you thought of this, but how about asking the new owners if they mind if you leave the plants for another 2-3 weeks and come back for them? You're awfully close to a harvest and I don't think they'll survive the move this year.

Along with this thought is that normally when you sell your home you can't start pulling stuff out of the ground that was there when they contracted to purchase from you. Unless of course it was written in the contract that the hops are going with you. People get very anal and picky when it comes to buying and selling homes, especially in a down market.

very true...legally, those hops are not yours anymore. But after you explain to them how hard they are to control and that they are poisonous to dogs..etc you should have no problems getting the rights to them ...

I just did the same thing... (except I put the hops in as an excluded item so they were leagally mine). As I wouldn't have a place ready to plant them at my new house, I dug up as much as possible and put them in 5 gallon buckets full of dirt. My first year ones actually survived the best as I was able to get the entire root system undistirbed. The second year plants didn't do that well as I had to cut through quite a bit of the root system but at least one vine on each survived or partially survived. I didn't water them after they were in the buckets as I they were already heavy enough, but I think that was a mistake. 2 days after the move I cut back everythign that was dead to try and help them out. Hopefully they survive and come back strong next year and I'll be able to plant them where I want on a structure that I will have time to build.

Back