Jeremiah Red wannabe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HackInBlack

Reaction score
I used to drink Jeremiah Red at BJ's a lot when I lived in Dallas. Haven't had any for a long time, so I figured I'd try my hand at it. Here's what I came up with in Beersmith.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.075 SG
Estimated Color: 15.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.50 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 76.85 %
1.00 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 9.04 %
1.00 lb Rice Extract Syrup (7.0 SRM) Extract 9.04 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2.26 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.26 %
0.06 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 0.54 %
1.25 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 17.6 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast-Ale

I'm using the rice extract to get the OG up a bit without killing the color - it's already dark enough. I'm not using rice syrup, but dry rice extract. I'll be kicking this loose in a little over a week, unless anyone has any comments or suggestions. Thanks.

No suggestions as I lack the experience, but keep us posted. This is a popular one for friends and family and it would be pretty cool to clone it.

Grains are steeped?

I figure I'll steep the grains for 40 minutes or so. I'll post more once I start the brew.

This one's officially dead. I wasn't thinking when I order the yeast and it took 12 days to get here. It shipped before Labor Day, then I tracked it sitting at a warehouse in Denver for 3 days. By the time I got it on Tuesday, the cold pack was a warm pack and I had a feeling the yeast was dead.

Without thinking, (and it being almost midnight when I was brewing) I hadn't bothered making a starter, even though by OG was slated to be 1.070, which it was. As soon as I pitched it, I cursed myself thinking that I should have made the starter. Sure enough, after 72 hours, not a twitch. The OG stayed the same and the yeast culture just settled at the bottom and died. Oh, well. . . live and learn. I'm sure the ants in the yard are loving me right now - sweet, sweet wort to eat!

I keep a bunch of dry yeast in the fridge just for this reason. 2 Packs Safale s-04 and US05, 2 packs Nottingham, 2 packs Windsor, and 2 packs Munich.

I didn't do that in the past, but then I put an order in online and had it delivered like you did. Had the same issue. Something to consider.

I keep a bunch of dry yeast in the fridge just for this reason. 2 Packs Safale s-04 and US05, 2 packs Nottingham, 2 packs Windsor, and 2 packs Munich.

I didn't do that in the past, but then I put an order in online and had it delivered like you did. Had the same issue. Something to consider.

Good advice. I'll have to build up an inventory.

That's a shame.

Maybe I'll give it a shot in a few months.

I'm retargeting to early November for a brew. If you haven't started by then, I'll keep you posted. I had been going to ferment for 7 days in the primary, then rack to the secondary for 14 days. However, reading a bunch on this site, I think I'm going to try and leave it in the primary for 14-17 days and then go straight to bottle. I'm adjusting the recipe to all DME instead of any LME, and I'll most certainly be using a starter! :)

Back