Hop Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betch

Reaction score
I made a batch of beer with hops that turned out to be stale smelling and tasting. I had the trub/yeast in the fridge and used it without knowing the off smell/flavor would appear in the next batch. Has this happened before and besides trashing the yeast can I dry hop the current keg and other 5 gallons to cover the smell/taste? I'm pretty sure the smell of stale is the worst part and the current beer is a amber ale with low IBU (20+) so the current Willamette does not mask the smell. I just want to salvage the current keg and modify the other bucket still on the yeast cake.:confused::(:eek::mad:

I am willing to bet on a hot aeration problem but not to sure. How old is the amber that tastes stale. I would say that some heavy dry hopping will mask some but not all the smell and will do very little for the taste.

I made a batch of beer with hops that turned out to be stale smelling and tasting. I had the trub/yeast in the fridge and used it without knowing the off smell/flavor would appear in the next batch. Has this happened before and besides trashing the yeast can I dry hop the current keg and other 5 gallons to cover the smell/taste? I'm pretty sure the smell of stale is the worst part and the current beer is a amber ale with low IBU (20+) so the current Willamette does not mask the smell. I just want to salvage the current keg and modify the other bucket still on the yeast cake.:confused::(:eek::mad:

Stale... Can you describe it better? I'd think oxidation (cardboard flavors) would be a likely culprit and not the hops.

The flavor of the beer is exactly as the hops smelled stale. The beer was not aerated until at or below 80. The hops in question were purchased and arrived with holes in the bag so it seems the hops were frozen and not properly packaged hence the stale smell. Was this from the small amount of hops in the yeast/trub mixture?

Latest posts

Back