Crash cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
I see that some recipes call for crash cooling before kegging. I don't have room in my beer fridge for carboys but I do have room for additional cornies. Is there any reason I can't keg and then cool in the fridge in the corny? I did this with Edwort's Bavarian Wheat. I let it sit a couple of weeks on gas and then drew off a couple of glasses of sediment. Now the beer is very good. What exactly does crash cooling accomplish and will my method work?

I'm just getting back into homebrewing after a 5 year layoff so take this for what it is worth.

I made a pale ale and fermented for 3 weeks (6.5 gal better bottle) .
After doing research on this site, which is full of great information, I moved the better bottle directly into the kegerator (no gas) at about 38 degrees and let it sit for 10 days. I racked into a corny keg and force carbed at 30 PSI for 3 days. On the 4th day, I dropped to 12 PSI and then to serving PSI on the 5th day. That was the clearest beer I've ever made, it came out incredible. I wish i had my camera, but the wife was on a work trip and took it with her, next week I'll post some pics assuming I don't drink it all.

I would have put the beer into a corny after the initial 3 weeks, but I needed to buy more cornys. Going forward I will let all my brews set a minimum 3 weeks in primary then rack to corny and let sit another week or so, then directly into the kegerator off gas for another week at 38. After that force carb and take it down.

Latest posts

Back