critique my stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nchomebrew

Reaction score
this is what i have planned for an all grain stout. let me know what you think.
keep in mind i only have four all grains under my belt, and my efficiency is only about 50%...i think.

12 lbs british pale
1 lb black patent
1 lb black roasted barley

2 oz williamette

either safele us 04 or 05

finish 5 gallon batch

Did you want a Dry Irish Stout, like Guinness, or some other sort? If you want something like Guinness or Beamish, I'd advise the following:

The classic formulation for Dry Irish Stout is 10% Roasted Barley, 10% Flaked Barley, 80% pale malt.

Roasted Barley gives the classic color and roasted flavor notes critical for the style. Flaked Barley gives a full, silky mouthfeel. Pale malt, well, is something for the yeast to ferment. :D If you were a real obsessive-compulsive style freak, you'd intentionally sour some Guinness and add it to the boil!

2 oz of Willamette at a medium AA% - say, 5% - is going to be plenty of bitterness. In fact, that'll be on the high side for style. I don't advise using a flavor or aroma addition in this style, as the benchmark styles omit them; why waste precious hops?

Have fun (and remember, the above is one schlep's opinion),

Bob

I've been tweaking my Short and Stout- .25 pale chocolate/.25 crystal 120L subbed out for .5# of roasted barley really rounds things out. You can even go as high as .5# roasted barley/.5# pale chocolate/.5# crystal 120L and still remain within style guidelines.

Back