Bayou Classic Model SP10?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Dog Brewing

Reaction score
I am looking into getting my burners but don't want to spend $100 for one burner. I was wondering if anyone here use the SP10? It says it reaches 185,000BTU with the 20 PSI regulator. That should work fine for full boils right? Also if anyone has used them, is the cooking surface big enough to hold a keggle? Just looking for some advice and feed back.

Thanks,

BMW-LDB

I have one. No it is not big enough for a keggle. But I use the grate from my grill and put that on top of the burner and put the keggle on that, and it works great.

Try the SQ-14 I want to say it's a 15" square cooking surface and hits umm..150K btu's. I want to say it runs 40-44 bucks

Big "A" said:
Try the SQ-14 I want to say it's a 15" square cooking surface and hits umm..150K btu's. I want to say it runs 40-44 bucks

It is the same price and has a bigger surface but says it is only a 55,000BTU unit. I think I want bigger than that right especially if I'm going to be boiling 10 + gallons?

BMW-LDB

185,000 BTU/HR????

I have some issues with that claim. For one, a 20 Lb propane tank is only capable of producing 330,000 BTU before it's empty so if you run the thing opened up wide for an hour and a half you'll be going for more propane.

Also, my lowly 60,000 BTU/HR will bring 7 gallons of cold tap water to a full rolling boil in under 20 minutes. You saying this thing can bring that same 7 gallons of water to boil in under 7 minutes?

I'd like to see that.

BTW... Mines a Camp Chef I bought at Joe's for $70.

idea...

the other day i was doing an inspection on a home we're hopefully buying...
it heating runs on hot water and thus, a boiler. The burner looks pretty ideal for doing some home brew. Of couse as you know, LPG will use a diffrent burner from natural gas. So if you harvest a burner from a shot boiler unit you'll need to patch into your natural gas line...

anyone know where retired boilers lay to rest???

I use 3 SQ-14s on a 3-tier keggle system. They work fine for me. Heating mash water is pretty easy because of the lower volume. For sparge water, I start heating that soon after mash-in. For the boil, I start the burner when my boil volume is just under half way full. It's close to boiling when I'm done sparging (fly). Their squareness holds keggles nicely.

Jeffro said:
185,000 BTU/HR????

I have some issues with that claim. For one, a 20 Lb propane tank is only capable of producing 330,000 BTU before it's empty so if you run the thing opened up wide for an hour and a half you'll be going for more propane.

Well honestly I don't think anyone is pushing the max out of their burners. But I like the idea of a wider flame spread like that of the SQ14 and even wider with the Banjo.

Back