Forgotten beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouperdude

Reaction score
I brewed a heavy IPA style beer. Transferred it to a secondary and forgot about it for 8 months. Looks like it its evaporated a good amount. Im wondering if its still worth dry hopping then bottling?

I'm assuming your airlock dried up in that time? If it was still full, I'm guessing it wouldn't have evaporated. How much volume do you think you've lost?

Your big risk is probably infection if the airlock is dry and the beer has been exposed to the air for some or all of that time. How does it smell/taste?

Anything growing on it?

If it's not infected, yeah man. Go for it. I would say that your hoppiness has most likely faded out, but it might still be a tasty beer.

You might also want to pitch a couple grams of champagne yeast at bottling. The yeast that's in there is old and pooped out.

How does one 'forget' about a beer? That implies your house is the size of an Ikea store, and you have nooks and crannies everywhere that hold secrets of times long past (jimmy hoffa's body? sure. amelia earhart's plane? you bet). I count the days until I can legitimately taste a beer and enjoy it...even years into the hobby as I am.

Oh, and to your question, taste it! That's the only way to know if it's drinkable. I would guess it'll be kind of bitter and boring, with all the aroma lost.

its easy to forget about a beer when. You have it in the garage, your roommate graduates and moves his bed and everything into the garage hiding the carboy lol. Ill rack it to a bucket dry hop ad some yeast and give it a try

The beer doesnt seem infected to me, but im not huge into this hobby lol

Back