Anyone haerd of these new Yeasts from Mangrove Jack's (New Zealand)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of curiosity, are you getting any hefe characteristics (banana or clove) from the Burton Union yeast in your scotch ale? And are the esters you're referring to the typical english-type esters (fruity, apple, pear, etc)?

Also, how is the flocculation that you're seeing from this strain of yeast?

I ask because there's another thread on here were a couple folks were getting some strange hefe and belgian characteristics from the BU yeast, and additionally they were ending up with SUPER cloudy/yeasty beer. It kind of made me nervous to try this out on an ESB I had planned.

Cheers! :mug:

All English character, beer was fermented in a basement that was a constant 63. The beer was a bit cloudy but was not yeasty tasting. The beer is at my friend house, we will keg in the coming week and bottle a few I'll give better feedback when we do. Definitely no Hefe esters!

Since I had so much trouble getting to the proper temp for my Scottish Ale, I am ordering the Workhorse Yeast from Rebel Brewer. The Workhorse yeast has a great temperature range, especially when brewing in Florida.

Excellent! That's great news. I'll definitely use this on my ESB then and keep the fermentation temp to the lower end of the range. Thanks for the feedback! I'll try to remember to provide my own feedback when I get around to brewing this batch. I've got about 3 lined out before it so it may be a month or two.
Thanks again!

I ended up making a lager a week ago with the M84 lager yeast (it's winter down here). Was quite surprised at how quickly fermentation started (even though it says that in the info). Will see how it goes after a month lagering.

I pitched a pack of M44 into a 1.042 session ale last week. Thing took a little while to get going and never was real aggresive. Fermented around 66F. Still waiting to take a reading. Will update when i get there.

Cracked open a bottle of my hoppy wheat beer done with the M44 and its great and very clear. I could see this being a Pacman type strain like rebel brewer claims. I think I am going to split my next batch of pumpkin beer between this and BRY97 as I already have a batch going with s05. I still have to brew my Eagle Rock Solidarity clone with the British Ale Yeast (supposed to be Wy1098 or WlP007 equivalent) but I am excited for that too.

I pitched the M07 British Ale Yeast in an IPA recipe I would have used WLP 007 in on Saturday. I read they are similar and didn't want to bother with a starter (http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shop/dry-yeast/british-ale-dry-yeast-m07/).

I pitched at noon, I started at 64 degrees in my ferm chamber and had airlock activity by the time I checked that evening. A nice krausen had formed by the next day. I raised the temp up to 67 on Monday night and when I checked it on Tuesday I had evidence that the krausen had gone up almost to the neck of my carboy. No blowout though. We'll see how it comes out in a few weeks.

I want to try the M44 US West Coast on a Rogue Dead Guy Ale clone as I read that it is supposed to be similar to Pacman http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shop/dry-yeast/west-coast-ale-dry-yeast-m44/.

Page 6, in the "How the Yeast Works" section, it says that the yeast isn't the best for harvesting/reusing...uuuummmmm ooooookay....It's yeast, why wouldn't it be okay or the best to harvest and reuse? Sounds like a stupid thing to say to get people to buy more yeast. Whatever, I'll still harvest and reuse. I don't buy that crap.
Thanks for sharing.

Page 6, in the "How the Yeast Works" section, it says that the yeast isn't the best for harvesting/reusing...uuuummmmm ooooookay....It's yeast, why wouldn't it be okay or the best to harvest and reuse? Sounds like a stupid thing to say to get people to buy more yeast. Whatever, I'll still harvest and reuse. I don't buy that crap.
Thanks for sharing.
Just finished fermenting a Helles with 180ml of harvested M84 Bo Lager yeast, 1 week old with no starter. Pitched at 50F, it started quickly and fermented to 72% attn--same as the new, 2pack dry pitch. Tastes good but needs to be chilled to ~32F to drop out. That stuff is seriously low floccing.

That "no re-pitch" line in the mfg info is BS.

How do you like the Helles? Is it nice and malty? I will be brewing a series of lagers with that yeast very soon.

How do you like the Helles? Is it nice and malty? I will be brewing a series of lagers with that yeast very soon.

The yeast has a strong lager yeast flavor. I just gelled the Helles a few days ago. I'll let you know how the flavor is when it clears

Awesome. How was the final gravity? In the 1.012 to 1.014 range suitable for helles?

Thanks for sharing.

From another forum

Reply by Andrew Childs on June 26, 2013 at 3:53pm

Hi guys

In terms of re-pitching the yeast. The reason it says not suitable for re-pitching is the changes in the flavour profile when you do so (over our 4 years of testing it was found the profiles change over generations of the yeast). It is not to say that you can not re-pitch, just that if you wanted a consistant yeast character then use a new one each time.

Awesome. How was the final gravity? In the 1.012 to 1.014 range suitable for helles?
FG on both batches fermented was 1.014 from OG of 1.050. The first batch was a bopils step mashed at 131F/30mins, 146F/20 mins, 162F/20mins.

I tried to dry the Helles out a bit with a mash schedule of 131/30, 140/30, 158/30, but it still finished at 1.014.

I'll probably keg the Helles today. I'll post up some tasting notes.

Huh...interesting. I was a little disappointed when I brewed with the Bavarian Wheat strain and it only fermented down to 1.016 from 1.050. It tasted good, but just didn't hit the FG I wanted.

Well, Marco, that goes for any yeast strain. Yeast mutates over from batch to batch. Not really sure why they're thinking it would be any different in this case.

Just kegged the Helles. It's crystal clear, bitterness is spot on, drier than before gelling and the yeast character is minimal. It tastes as if it will be quite good after a few weeks lagering.

Before gelling I harvested 2 jars of ~220ml each of clean yeast to reuse.

Just kegged the Helles. It's crystal clear, bitterness is spot on, drier than before gelling and the yeast character is minimal. It tastes as if it will be quite good after a few weeks lagering.

Before gelling I harvested 2 jars of ~220ml each of clean yeast to reuse.

Awesome. Buy yourself a bottle of Weihenstephaner Premium, compare, and report back! Or just report back when it's ready to drink.:rockin:

Just brewed a Scottish 90/- (ish) on Friday. Pitched a pack of rehydrated Newcastle Dark yeast. Fermentation at 68* and within 12 hours blowoff tube was needed. Violent ferment for 24 hours and by today (Sunday) the airlock is all quiet again. I'll try to remember to post again with OG/FG and tasting notes.

I had the M84 pilsner yeast stall on me in my amber lager at 1.030. Ended up pitching a packet of M44 ale yeast that I was going to use in a different beer. It's cranking away nicely now.

Just kegged the m20 hefe. I did it side by side with wb06. The m20 barely had any yeast left in sustainion after 4 weeks in primary. It did not taste like the hefes I like. I would say more of an American wheat. The wb was better and I am no huge fan of the wb yeast. I did use the heidelburg malt instead of standard 2row. Not sure if that had anything to do with it. Both taste pretty thin. But it is straw colored.

I had the M84 pilsner yeast stall on me in my amber lager at 1.030. Ended up pitching a packet of M44 ale yeast that I was going to use in a different beer. It's cranking away nicely now.

What was your gravity, pitch temp, ferment temp, and pitch rate? I'm planning on being an Oktoberfestbier tomorrow with this yeast (10 gallons with 4 packs) and would like to avoid it stalling on me...

OG was 1.060. Pitch temp was 20C, ferment temp was 11C. Made a half gallon starter three days before with 500g DME, extra yeast nutrient and activator that was also fermented at 11C. (I'm new to starters)

It was bubbling away fine for a while but then stopped. When transferring it to secondary I noticed it had stalled.

OG was 1.060. Pitch temp was 20C, ferment temp was 11C. Made a half gallon starter three days before with 500g DME, extra yeast nutrient and activator that was also fermented at 11C. (I'm new to starters)

It was bubbling away fine for a while but then stopped. When transferring it to secondary I noticed it had stalled.

You made a starter with dry yeast?

Did you oxygenate the wort? Did you raise the temp at the end for a d-rest?

My plan is to aerate, rehydrate the yeast but no starter, pitch 4 packs a bit under 50F degrees and ferment around 53F. I plan on doing a d-rest as well... Just hoping I don't have the same thing happen...

You made a starter with dry yeast?
Yes. Single Packet

Did you oxygenate the wort? Did you raise the temp at the end for a d-rest?
Yep, I gave it a good wisk. It was a partial mash so half the water was straight from the tap. Yep 2 days outside at room temperature (It is winter here though and it wasn't terribly vigorous when I removed it from the fridge).

I used the M79 for a partial mash ESB some time back. The beer has turned out very good and is fast becoming my favourite beer.

I'm planning on being an Oktoberfestbier tomorrow with this yeast (10 gallons with 4 packs) and would like to avoid it stalling on me...

My experience with M84 when pitched dry:

I rehydrated and pitched 2 packs of M-84 Bohemian Lager into 6gals of 1.050 BoPils wort at 50F. 36hrs later with no activity, I let the temp rise to 57F. At 55hrs post-pitch, it started slowly moving the airlock.

At 80 hrs it had a small krausen and fair airlock activity. I dropped the temp to 55F and held there until D-rest--I always let temp rise as airlock activity slows and the temp of the beer begins to drop(probably ~ 75-80% attenuated)

It attenuated to 1.014/72% and was extremely hazy until temp was dropped to 32F for a few days. At 3 weeks lagering, it's tasting nice but isn't as clear as I had hoped. I actually had gel ready to use but skipped it b/c it looked so clear the day I was going to rack to secondary, so I kegged it.

As I posted above, the Helles I fermented with 1/2 of the harvested yeast from the Bopils batch took off well at 50F.

Just kegged the m20 hefe. I did it side by side with wb06. The m20 barely had any yeast left in sustainion after 4 weeks in primary. It did not taste like the hefes I like. I would say more of an American wheat. The wb was better and I am no huge fan of the wb yeast. I did use the heidelburg malt instead of standard 2row. Not sure if that had anything to do with it. Both taste pretty thin. But it is straw colored.

Interesting. I found the M20 yeast to have a decent amount of banana esters, which is what I like for hefes. I did not get "American hefe" out of it. I fermented it at 68F. I'll be brewing a hefe with the WB-06 pretty soon. Looking for good dry yeasts all around, at least for the warm/cold months where shipping liquid yeast isn't good.

So, I now have wort in the fermenter. Pretty sure I've done everything "right", so I'm going to hope the yeast holds up.

O-fest
M84 Bavarian Lager
11 gal, 10# Munich, 6# Pilsner, 5# Vienna, 0.25# Carafa III for color
Simple 60 minute addition, 1 oz of 15.2 AA Magnum, for 25 IBU.

I chilled to 51 degrees going into the fermenter, properly rehydrated 4 packs of yeast in sterile water, hit the fermenter with 75 seconds of pure O2, and pitched. Temp controller set to 53 deg.

brewed yesterday with the workhorse.
http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/left-over-hops-ipa/

NAME AMOUNT USE PPG
2-Row Brewers Malt 7.0 lb43 % Mash 37
Golden Promise 7.0 lb43 % Mash 37
Corn Sugar (Dextrose) 2.0 lb12 % Boil 46
Hops

NAME AMOUNT TIME USE FORM AA
Nugget United States 0.5 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 13.0%
Columbus United States 0.75 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 17.2%
Chinook United States 1.0 oz 10 min Boil Pellet 13.0%
Chinook United States 1.0 oz 5 min Boil Pellet 13.0%
Centennial United States 1.0 oz 0 min Aroma Pellet 10.5%
Citra United States 0.5 oz 0 min Aroma Pellet 12.0%
Chinook United States 1.0 oz 0 min Aroma Pellet 13.0%
Amarillo United States 0.5 oz 0 min Aroma Pellet 9.5%
Centennial United States 0.5 oz 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 10.5%
Citra United States 1.0 oz 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 12.0%
Amarillo United States 0.5 oz 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 9.5%

Had a ton of hops left over in the freezer, decided to put them to good use!

brewed a cascade smash as well

Cascade SMaSH got the S-05
the IIPA got the Workhorse
SMaSH (@1.060) is currently at 68* in the fermentation chamber, 16 hours later it was barely fermenting (easily knew that was going to happen, S-05 has never been quick to start for me)
However, the IIPA (@1.085) 12 hours later was about to blow off and the airlock sounded like a machine gun... THAT was nuts! and it's right now at 78* (Ambient temps) Smells SUPER clean though, so i have high hopes!

I took a gravity reading/sample of the IPA I brewed Saturday evening fermented with the Workhorse yeast. And I was surprised it didn't taste very off. Of course it's only been 3 days in the fermenter so it's hard to tell. But it stalled out at around 1.020. The krausen has dropped and the fermentation took 24 hours at 78F. Ambient temp was probably around 75F in my closet, but the temp strip on the carboy read anywhere between 76-78 maybe even 80. It was the most active fermentation I've ever seen and the shortest one I've experienced.
But the sample tasted alright, surprisingly...so maybe there's hope after all. Disappointed about the higher than desired gravity though. Maybe it'll come down some more...but doesn't seem likely. That's what you get for fermenting too warm...

The recipe was:
4.5 gallons
OG 1.070
60% Rahr 2-row
25% Rahr White Wheat
15% Briess Bonlander Munich 10L

FWH - 1oz chinook
5min - 1oz simcoe
Flameout/hopstand for 30 min - 1oz chinook, 1oz simcoe
1 packet rehydrated Workhorse yeast

And there was an ant that came out with the yeast! I swear it wasn't in my water I had boiled in the microwave in a mason jar. I fished it out and went with it. Beer tastes fine. Maybe a little ant-y.

So, I now have wort in the fermenter. Pretty sure I've done everything "right", so I'm going to hope the yeast holds up.

O-fest
M84 Bavarian Lager
11 gal, 10# Munich, 6# Pilsner, 5# Vienna, 0.25# Carafa III for color
Simple 60 minute addition, 1 oz of 15.2 AA Magnum, for 25 IBU.

I chilled to 51 degrees going into the fermenter, properly rehydrated 4 packs of yeast in sterile water, hit the fermenter with 75 seconds of pure O2, and pitched. Temp controller set to 53 deg.

Update: this morning at 8:30, about 57 hours after pitching, I still don't have much blowoff activity. And I know my fermenter has a good seal, so it's not that.

I boosted temp to 55 in the hopes of starting it up, and really want to see this start moving. But I am *very* unhappy with this much lag time... I know it's a lager, but 48 hours, with my pitch rate, should be plenty to have a healthy fermentation going...

Damn, now you got me all not wanting to use the 2 packets I have in the fridge. That's super lame.

Update: this morning at 8:30, about 57 hours after pitching, I still don't have much blowoff activity. And I know my fermenter has a good seal, so it's not that.

I boosted temp to 55 in the hopes of starting it up, and really want to see this start moving. But I am *very* unhappy with this much lag time... I know it's a lager, but 48 hours, with my pitch rate, should be plenty to have a healthy fermentation going...
Same experience I had. It works much better as a re-pitch. I typically brew a beer that I can ferment at ~58-60F when I use dry lager yeast for the first generation and only pitch 1 pack. I ferment my lagers with the harvested yeast.

Same experience I had. It works much better as a re-pitch. I typically brew a beer that I can ferment at ~58-60F when I use dry lager yeast for the first generation and only pitch 1 pack. I ferment my lagers with the harvested yeast.

You had the same experience with the M84 specifically?

How was the taste profile?

well i pitched the yeast on monday @ about 7p or so. today the krausen has completely died already... weird!
heres the workhorse
IMG_20130725_170623_720_zpse32f7e01.jpg

IMG_20130725_170634_251_zps065d6814.jpg

Here is the S-05, pitched a few hours before hand... krausen is still really high

IMG_20130725_170655_983_zpsb51a6520.jpg

You had the same experience with the M84 specifically?

How was the taste profile?
Yep. Read my post #67 above for the details. Flavor is good. Its not as clean as a German lager strain and has a definite "Bohemian" flavor if that means anything to you. Gelling is necessary to minimize the flavor impact of this yeast.

My Bopils tastes great after a 55F ferment with it. I don't think its gonna be neutral enough to make my Helles taste authentic though. I'll tap it tomorrow night although its only been lagering for 2 weeks and post up some tasting notes.

Back