peach wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkrug

Reaction score
I want to make a peach wine from some fruit i have in the freezer. I have couple of questions first.

The fruit i have is peeled, will that make a difference?
The fruit also has "fresh fruit" sprinkled on it. Will this affect the wine in anyway?
How much fruit do i need per galllon of wine?
Anything else i need to be aware of before i start this?

Peeled fruit will not hurt the wine. Dont worry about that.

Fruit Fresh should have "Dextrose, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Citric Acid, Silicon Dioxide (Anti-Caking)."
in it. This will also be fine. I see no reason why it will hurt your endevors.

About 3lb of fruit per gallon is usually appropriate.

Things to know: Peaches are infamous for have a pectin haze in your wine if not treated right. When you get your recipe together lack the yeast then use a crushed camden tablet per gallon to sterilize the must, After 12 - 24 hours add in 1/2tsp of pectic enzyme per gallon. 24 - 48 hours later pitch your yeast and let her rip.

I have done some peach wines before and have had great results. If using fresh peaches I would sdo a simple recipe like this:

1 gallon recipe

3lb fresh peaches cut into 1/8th
1 12oz Welch's White Grape frozen contrate or can use the white grape peach.
1.5lb of table sugar
Topped off with water to one gallon
1TBS of Black tea (I Like Earl Grey but any Black tea will do)
1tsp Yeast Nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 crushed camden tablet.
Yeast (I like Lalvin 71B-1122, I would stay away from yeasts that are described as SO2 producers)

We used 8 pounds per gallon and it tasted like a glass of fresh peach juice with the alcohol on the back end.

I transferred to carboy today and boy it has a rotten egg smell. It has completed fermenting. Do I have anything to worry about?

I have never had that rotten egg smell with peach wines but many say they have had that with peach wines specifically. You do need to take some precaution to get rid of the rotten egg smell. You can do what is called splash racking which is just racking a few times and allowing the wine to fall through the length of the carboy rather than have the siphon hose on the bottom so as to allow for the wine to oxygenate a little bit and that will dissipate the rotten egg smell.

There was a guy not too long ago that tried a cap full of hydrogen peroxide and that did the trick for him. I am not sure on exact amounts of Hydrogen peroxide per gallon but something you can look into.

To prevent the rotten egg smell in the future you may need to up your nutrient additions in your next batch and if you did not use SNA (Stagard nutrient additions) then that would help as well. Also being sure to aerate your must for the first week or until the 1/3 sugar break helps a lot. I use a home made wine whip attached to a drill to aerate my musts.

I splash racked 4 times last night and it seemed to help, but this morning the smell came back some. Is it OK to splash rack few more times?

Smell is worse tonight, so the original smell does not seem to have improved.

At this point, it's safe to say that your wine has too much hydrogen sulfide (H2S). Now you need to wiegh your options and decide what to do next.

1. I'd try aggressive aeration. Take a sample of the wine and go mental on it. Shake it, spin it, stir it, then give it to someone else to smell it. If they say it's alright, then you know what to do with the rest of the wine. If not, continune

2. Get a copper pipe/tube and use it to stir the wine for 5-10 minutse. Let it sit for some time and then take a sample and ask someone else to smell it. If everything is okay, the congrats. If not, continue

3. You can use Bocksin (or Böcksin), which will react with the H2S and reduce the rotten eggs smell. Rack after using it and ask someone else to smell. If the smell presists, continue

4. At this point I don't recommend going any further. You can use copper sulphate but I highly advise against it. It's very likely to end up with a toxic solution that might injure the drinkers and/or even kill them. I say just let it go.

Next time make sure you sanatize properly, use the right amount of Campdene tablets, and add enough yeast nutrients.

I have had much success with copper sulfate. The allowable amounts in wine are easy to work with and it moved my skeeter pee from undrinkable to really tasty.

With all things however, especially chemical compounds, you need to add the right amount and not over do it. Copper sulfate in the right amounts is a non issue but if you use too much it is toxic and will cause immediate intestinal problems.

Make sure you measure and add it in the correct amounts!

Search for a thread named "testing and treating for sulfur". For some reason I can't locate it. It is a walkthrough on what I did to rid myself of the sulfur smell.

Good luck!

Thanks for everyones responses and suggestions. It seems that stirring with the coper pipe for 10 minutes eliminated the smell.

Back