Good low-temperature fermenting fruit yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellmtbbq

Reaction score
Hi, I've been working on my own wild yeast strain for over a month, with the intention of having it ferment at the lowest temps possible. As many of you know, scientists found the ancestor to the bottom fermenting, cold fermenting lager yeast in the wild in Argentina a few years ago, which snuck into Europe through a ship in the 16th century.

gall.jpg

Ancestor to lager yeast in there

Now my understanding is this Patagonian strain is the only bottom fermenting yeast found in the wild, or at least is suitable to brew. So I've been trying to find a top-fermenting wild yeast in fruit, vegetables, etc that ferments as close to lager temperatures and is as mild flavored as I can get. Any ideas?

I feel like I might have a mild strain in my tomato culture, and perhaps the strawberry, which are going right now. So I'm looking for decent strains to work with, and then I will start scaling down the temperature and see which ones perform better.

It just hit me to test grapes as I believe wine made with it's natural yeast in ancient times was done at relatively low temps. Could this be the breakthrough? As I understand sometimes the same grape cluster will have some good yeast and some bad, sour yeast, so it's just a matter of running enough cultures, and then growing it in enough malt and DME so it doesn't come out as winey.

three-grapes.jpg

I'll make a more formal thread for my extensive Project Hybrid experiment when I get further along.

Thanks

Back