New Glarus Unplugged: Bourbon Barrel Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoebisch01

Reaction score
Ok, so anybody had this one? My friend picked me up a 4 pack on his recent trip to WI. I am interested in trying this. :fro:

I haven't tried it, but I can't imagine it'll be bad. Most of the New Glarus brews are quite tasty.

My little sister lives in Milwaukee and whenever she comes home across the pond, she'll bring some. Fat Squirrel is very good. The Enigma was interesting; a flanders style sour ale. I didn't really care for their Blonde though.

Ok tasting notes!

Head: small quickly dissipating
Carbonation: Low
Color: Deep Amber
Aroma: Toffee, Raisin
Flavor: Slight tang, replaced by malty bock sweetness with lingering Toffee. Really nice balance of Oakiness, not overpowering. Finishes with slight bitterness.

This is a really nice version of a Bock. I think the Brett might be lost on this, but time may change the profile. Very nice!

I have just over a case of this in my stock, I love this beer and would LOVE to mak it on my own but as I have been brewing for a year and would be terrible at cloning. If anyone out there is good at cloning and wouldn't mind doing so with this, sharing the results with hbt so all can enjoy, I will send out 2 4 packs for you (the res is being saved for graduation)....

Haven't had this one (yet) but I have had their Uff-Da Bock, which is also very good. I get to sample their stuff whenever I want, though, so I'm in no hurry. Nyah, Nyah!

I just finished off my last bottle of this beer last week...and it was delicious. I agree with the tasting notes above. The brett was subdued after 18 months of aging, and the oakiness was just there. This beer definitely got better over time.

I just checked the New Glarus website and was surprised to see that they no longer list Uff-da Bock or the Edel Pils on their list. This makes me sad; I used to drink a lot of the Uff-da before I got my fridge clogged up with miscellaneous 6-ers of other beers I wanted to try.

I guess I'll have to switch back to Fat Squirrel (another favorite) and/or try their new beers (Cracked Wheat, Black Wheat). The Alt is a new release as well and that's a tasty one--not like a normal Alt in flavor, but a really complex (fruity, caramelly, oaky), malty brew.

Latest posts

Back