Ingelmunster yeast (Dutch Castle)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muss

Reaction score
I purchased some Wyeast 3822 Inglemusnter yeast (formelly known as Dutch Castle) as I got a bit excited that it's a specialty seasonal yeast only available for a few months of the year.
The problem is I don't know what to do with it!
I've googled about for recipies using it but I can't find anything!

I would like to try some things I haven't done before for my next batch which includes:
Making a golden belgian ale
Brewing with honey
Brewing with belgian candi sugar

Do you think it's a sensible idea to mix all of those up in a brew and add the ingelmunster yeast?

Cheers.

I might take a Duvel extract recipe, add candi sugar, maybe a little honey and use the Ingelmunster yeast.

W00t, that does indeed sound yummy!

Here's what I recently brewed with this yeast:

Fermentables
9lb. Muntons Extra Light DME
2lb. Belgian Candi Sugar

Hops
Bittering 1.5 oz Hallertau (6%) & 0.5 oz Saaz (3.5%) (pellets)
Aroma 0.5 oz Hallertau & 0.5 oz Saaz [50 min]

Spices
1/2 oz bitter orange peel [47 min]
1/2 oz sweet orange peel
2 gm paradise seeds

Yeast
White Labs 3822 - Dutch Castle Ale

It just went in the secondary after more than 4 weeks in the primary. This yeast seemed to go forever, kinda like batches I've brewed with honey (hope its not infected!)

I like that recipe for the fermentables, it's nice and simple:D

Here's what I'll be making. I got a duvel recipe from the net and swapped some of the ingredients for others as they aren't available at my LHBS)

3.6lbs Muntons LME (it's an export pilsener kit, so it will be hopped)
2lbs light DME
400g Dextrose
250g Honey
250g Light candi sugar (home made)

20g Saaz hops at the end of the boil
Irish moss - just a wee bit

I was thinking about steeping in some pilsener grain. Does this sound like a good idea?

Just used this yeast, beer(flanders red -roeselare blend was added after 3822) is in secondary. Wyeast says, "Very tart and dry on the palate." It is extremely dry, tartness is not very strong IMHO. The tarness is subjective, but its a solid fact that this beer is very, very dry. I didn't mash super low or anything special either. My saisons never finish super dry, this may not be a yeast to use for saisons, but I wish they would finish half as dry as this.

Back