almost barley wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browncoat

Reaction score
I had planned on brewing a barely wine out of the Stone recipe book. Unfortunately due to compounding procedural errors my OG was really low (1.070 instead of 1.103). I wanted to let this sit until Christmas of next year.

Would something this low be okay to let sit a year or should I go ahead and try another batch? I've read where ipas and pale ales don't age that well.

1070 OG i'd be drinking that in a 2 months or less. I'd try another. IPA's just change hops reduce, but they age well if you aren't looking for a sharp bite. things mellow & blend. pales browns & milds tend to slide in quality and pick up cardboardy flavors the lower the hopping goes.

Just for a learning experience what where your errors? mash temp? too fast sparge? short mash?

First, I converted the recipe to 2.5 gal instead of 5. But this threw me for a loop when trying to figure sparge water. From various sources I got sparge water volumes ranging from 2.5 ( beersmith) to 4 gal (tastybrew). I ended up collecting just under 5 gal total boil vol at 1.055. I boiled for 90 min but it wasn't vigorous enough I suppose. Vol into fermentor was just below 4 gal @ 1.070. Ibus are about 55.

I also batch sparged which I have only done once. Don't know why I changed it up at the last minute but I did. Normally after vorlauff I start running the sparge water on top of the grain bed and match the outflow into the bk.

At least its fermenting nicely.

Back