to cold crash and gelatin or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

im322305

Reaction score
Have looked all over HBT and cant find an answer to my question. I've got a IIPA (around 8%) dry hopping right now or the 10th day. I was thinking about cold crashing (NOT removing hops) for 24 hours, adding gelatin and leaving it for another 3-4 days before I bottle. I guess my question is would this be advisable for good bottle carbing. Also I know its too early too worry about off flavors but I noticed green apple and cider flavors and strong smell after 4 weeks in primary. Ive heard that yeast tends to eventually convert acetaldhyde after sometime conditioning. With cold crashing and gelatin removing all this yeast from suspension, is this an OK idea or should i just go ahead and bottle? Thanks

Not sure about the gelatin thing but don't be surprised if the cidery thing is just a function of dry hopping, and I think especially so with a citrusy hop like cascade or similar. I thought the same thing on my last IPA and after bottle aging for 3 weeks, it tastes and smells awesome.

I dont think the cidery flavor is because of dry hopping. It was present before I dry hopped and am pretty sure it was because of high ferm. temps

I think you should let it age more. It's possible it will die down a bit with age. That is a bigger beer and my understanding is that with age the flavors will stabilize a bit more and the off ones will die down.

Back