Thermostat mod

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer Gerard

Reaction score
How do folks,

Just wondering has anybody modded (maybe removed) a thermostat from a chest freezer to make the compressor run continuously. the reason i ask is I want to use an off the shelf frost stat to convert it into a fermentation chamber.

If any of you guys can share your experiences of trying something like this or give any tips, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance
Gerry

I haven't done this myself, but I don't think that you want a compressor to run continuously. Mind you, I have zero experience at doing this and am not a professional. I have, however, seen units ice up and break down due to being run on a constant basis. Also, you shouldn't need it to run that much to keep constant temps IMO.

I've done it with a wine fridge. Just connected the 2 leads that go into the body of the internal thermostat. Then plugged the fridge into a Johnson analog controller. Works well, easy project. Chest freezer would be the same thing. Leave the thermo in case you want to easily reverse the process.

careful with rigging it to stay on all the time. They will ice up as mentioned and often need to cycle off to run the defrost coil, at least that's what assume after examining the guts of a old fridge thermostat and defrost coil setup thingy.

Woke up this mornin and it dawned on me what i was thinking made zero sense. The thermostat that runs the compressor would have no affect on the operation of the chest freezer if i was cutting the power below 38F.

Just got a frost stat today which i intend to use to cut the power on a freezer as the temp decreases. only thing is the way a frost stat works is, it cuts the power as the temp increases.

Anybody have any experience of modding a frost stat to operate inversely to the way it does off the shelf.

Cheers in advance

Back