Pliny without Simcoe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwhyte

Reaction score
I've suddenly come upon some free time to brew this weekend, and a Pliny the Elder clone has been high on my list. I have all the ingredients except that my LHBS is out of Simcoe. I know I can't make a true clone without them, but I'm happy with something different "in the Pliny style" if it'll be tasty - I've got lots of Centennial, Columbus, Cascade and Amarillo around - anyone care to suggest a hop schedule using those with the Pliny malt bill? I'm leaning towards just bumping up the Cent. and Columbus to make up for the missing Simcoe since I'm afraid of how intensely citrus-y Cascade and Amarillo would be in those quantities, but if anyone has experience to the contrary (or in support for that matter) I'd love to hear it.

If you could find Chinook, you could probably substitute it for the Simcoe. It won't be as piney, but will have some pine.

If you could find Chinook, you could probably substitute it for the Simcoe. It won't be as piney, but will have some pine.

I should have thought of that at the store. Unfortunately I won't have time to get back there before my planned brew session, and if I have to wait I'll just order some Simcoe. Maybe that's what I should do, simcoe is not easy to substitute for, but with two young kids I don't get to brew enough so I hate to pass up an opportunity. If the hops I listed won't do, I do have some less likely options around as well - magnum, willamette, EKG, Saaz, Hallertauer, and Tettnang. Nothing in there looks piney to me, but maybe some combo here would still produce a great beer?

I think Of those choices, williamatte and tettnang are the least likely to get lost in the flavors of the other hops. Well, Magnum wouldn't either, but that's more citrus.

Back