Malt Extract Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikrocks

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new to homebrewing--I have my first brew carbonating in bottles as we speak.

My first brew is a red ale kit that I bought from MidwestSupplies. It was great because, as you all know, everything is included. But I want to begin brewing recipes that I read on places like this forum. Problem is, most recipes call for 2 or 3 or more different types of malt extract. How do people do this? Do you just buy a few bottles of each--dark, light, etc--and use what you need? How long can you store them once they're opened?

I hope this question makes sense. THanks!

You can buy in quantities you want from the Local Homebrew Supliers.

No need to store just purchase the amount that you need. Congrats on the first batch I'm at the same stage you are right now.

Toward the end of my extract brewing, I switched completely to the lightest malt extract I could find, and added color back (if needed) by steeping specialty grains.

Most local places can measure out and quantity you want. Many here (myself included) will tell you to use the lightest extract (wheat beers are the exception) you can find and get any color and flavor from steeping grains, so that will cut down on the different extracts you have lying around.

Thanks, that's a great hint. Thee really aren't any homebrew stores within an hour from me, so I really have to depend on the online stores.

Back